The Vampires Of Winding Way | Teen Ink

The Vampires Of Winding Way

On a cold and damp night, two babies were born at exactly twelve o'clock, July 13, 1997. This was a Friday and who knew that it would be the worst one yet. 

The day started like any other at the hospital. Frank, a hard working doctor that was six feet three inches tall and extremely fit, was teaching the new guy how to properly sterilize the scalpels when over the loudspeaker they heard, “All available doctors please head to the maternity ward rooms A13 and C13.” 

Frank rushed to room C13 after telling the new guy to keep sterilizing the scalpels because they might be needed. When Frank arrived at the room and walked right in.   He saw a young woman with long brown hair and blue eyes in the bed, holding a baby in her arms.  The baby was swaddled in a blue blanket, quietly sleeping.  But then he realized that the mother wasn’t moving so he checked her vitals and found out that the mother was dead. He gave the baby to a nurse, and ran off to room A13.

When he got there he met Dr. Thomas who had a solemn expression on his face. Assuming the worst, Frank burst through the door only to find a young mother laying on the bed non-moving with a sleeping baby in her arms. He checked her vitals and found out that his fear had become reality.

He later found out that the two babies were born at the same time. He noticed a few oddities about the babies like the fact that they had pale white skin and incredibly sharp teeth. Another similarity between the babies was that they were both from Winding Way, a manor that people believed was inhabited by vampires. He had no understanding of how this knowledge would affect him. 

The vampire boys were not only from the same place they were cousins. Their mothers were twin sisters and went into labor at the same time. Their fathers were killed because the townspeople had enough evidence to prove that they were vampires. No one ever found out that the mothers were vampires and they died in labor.

The next day the boys suspiciously moved away after the body of Gwyneth Jacobs was found completely drained of blood. Frank knew who it was but he wasn’t sure if he should tell the authorities. Besides, even if he knew what to say, who would he tell? Suddenly Frank heard the drip  of blood hitting the floor. Frank looks behind him and he sees that the vampire boys have grown up. Frank tries to run but his attempts are futile as the boys surround him.

“Don’t run,” said Henry, a vampire with dark purple eyes that were almost black. He was six feet eight inches tall, and he was very lean.

“Yeah, fast food isn’t good for us,” said  Gradey, a vampire with eyes the color of volcanic ash. He was also six feet eight inches tall and muscular.

“Now hold still.” they say in unison as they drain Frank of his blood.

“Splash Splash Splash,” Frank hears as his vision blurs and the white light becomes closer and closer until all his pain disappears and he is wrapped in a warm nothingness. This is the end he thinks, but just then he finds himself in the Winding Way mansion. I guess he is now his own worst fear. 

Frank suddenly feels an intense hunger that he has never felt before. As he runs through the halls he spots a lady that is dressed unusually in a dress that is light blue with lines of light pink bows. Drip Drip Drip. Her dress vaguely reminds him of Marie Antoinette. When she turns around Frank realizes that the woman really was Marie Antoinette. He decided that he was going crazy and ran out of the house. He runs to the faraway town of Commeautville Pensylvania where he then drinks all the inhabitants’ blood. Plop Plop Plop. His total body count was currently twelve hundred Forty- One. He only stopped because his clothes were red when they were initially a pale blue. He ran forty miles to the nearest mall in one second flat! He then killed the woman shopkeeper and stole a clean pair of black trousers and a black button down shirt. But just then he smelt the stench of garlic and thought to himself what is that stench it's like I am sticking his whole body in fire. Splash Splash Splash. He hears a gunshot.

He wakes up in a hospital room with an IV dripping a clear thick liquid into his elbow. He then rips out the IV and grabs onto the rough brick wall and hurls himself onto the street below. Where he met the bringer of his demise which was a broken bed frame. He could taste his blood. As his vision blacked out all he could see were the two boys laughing. As he goes toward the light he finally realizes that he was murdered by the boy he delivered only days ago, and his cousin. On the news the next day the headline was, “The Vampires Of Winding Way Strike Again!”

This was an ELA assignment but it became something more.