Life Everlasting | Teen Ink

Life Everlasting

What if no one ever died? Overpopulation would rule the world, and Chrysanthemum and Grimm lived in that world. They were twin siblings. It was 3022 and science was at its peak. All people, young and old, were injected with a serum that allowed them to live forever. The choice to have this done was not their own. They were told by their mayor that it would ensure them “everlasting happiness'' and the “gift of renewal”. Everyone was always cheery and full of life and no one was ever melancholy. This society was perfect, or so it seemed like it. The grass, always green and vibrant. The trees, always blooming with fresh flowers and fruit year round. Every acre of land was covered with mansions, malls, restaurants and businesses. Highways went every which way, one on top of the other.  There were no hospitals or cemeteries because to this society, death and disease was a thing of the past. 

Chrysanthemum and Grimm sat about in their living room along with their four grand and great grandparents, ten uncles and aunts, fifteen cousins, and of course their parents. Overcrowding was a sure thing but it never seemed to really cross anyones mind that it was an issue. In fact, everyone was fine with the fact that life was forever. Everyone except Chrysanthemum. Everyone was gathered at their house to celebrate the birthday of Chrysanthemum and Grimm. The only downside of the gathering was that they had a very rowdy family. Yet, Grimm loved birthdays because of all the gifts he’d receive. Although to Chrysanthemum, every birthday was one year closer to the dreadful reality of eternity. The twins were polar opposites. Grimm enjoyed company and always wanted to be around people. While Chrysanthemum, enjoyed the quiet, peace, being alone.

After being bombarded by the reckless noise of her family, Chrysanthemum stepped out into the garden where she spent most of her days. The sky was bright blue and the air smelled of fresh linen. She sat on a bench near the flower bed, gazing at the different colors of roses that had been planted. She noticed that one of the red roses was fading out. She didn’t understand this because everything was always full of life and color. Curiosity kicked in and she reached out and touched it. Black mold filled her hand as the flower crumbled in it. Then a grey mist came in from behind the bench, causing her to pass out.  

She woke up, slumped over the bench. Her eyes shot in fear when she saw the sky grey and the atmosphere lifeless. She looked down and saw that she now had bones for body parts. Chrysanthemum stood up , wobbling like a newborn deer fresh out of it’s mothers womb. Everything and everyone was gone.  The highways, the buildings, her house, her family, her neighbors, the garden. All there was for miles and miles was empty land. She was truly alone. She walked over to where her house used to be and stepped on a thorn bush. Static zapped her bones, she froze, then she looked down and saw her skin starting to form on her body again. Floors and walls started to simulate around her. Next thing you know she’s standing in her bedroom. She could hear her wild family from outside her door, having a good time. She was struck with confusion because she wasn’t alive a couple seconds ago. Has she been dead this whole time? Where had time gone?

This piece came to life in my head as I was watching "The Book of Life". Also Grimm was inspired by the Grimm Reaper and Chrysanthemum was inspired by the flower.