Sun Set | Teen Ink

Sun Set

October 6, 2021
By jm292820 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
jm292820 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

  Sun Set

  Hi, my name is sunny. I am currently an eleventh grader in high school. My life is grand . I play football, top of my class, and have lots of friends and family. Just a typical kid living an ordinary life. That's until the unthinkable happened. It was just a regular day.  I woke up, took a shower, brushed my teeth and got dressed to go to the bus. It was still dark outside due to daylight savings so it wasn’t that out of the ordinary. Once I got to school I met up with Estrella, who is my girlfriend, we ate breakfast together and caught up. I looked outside and I saw that it was still dark. It was kind of odd now because it was about eight oclock and the sun still hadn't come up.  I asked Estrella what she thought about it. She agreed with me and thought it was kind of weird too. But we went along with our day with it in the back of our minds. I met up with my best friend Ramon for my first period. We sat with each other and went on with the class. In the middle of the lesson he turned to me and asked “dude don't you think it's kinda weird that it's still dark out” I agreed.  After the lesson we went to our old biology teacher Ms.Shine and asked her what her opinion was on the situation. She said from what she saw on the news this morning about a meteor hitting Russia causing change in the earth's rotation cycle. I asked “don't we need the sun to live?”. She said “yes indeed we do” and sat with an unbearable stare. I thought to myself, is this how we are going to live for the rest of our lives?  When I got home I walked in on my mom crying and I comforted her saying everything was going to be alright. As I hugged her I saw in the corner of my eye the news of people rioting and thieving because of the panic all across the world. The headline wrote “Is this the end?” so i just closed my eyes and hugged her even more. I called Estrella to make sure she was ok but she answered crying and said her parents were moving to a shelter they had down in California for safety. I kept thinking to myself is this all really happening as I sat there in disbelief. All of a sudden I heard a siren coming from all our phones and TVs saying to brace ourselves for the impact of a giant meteor coming so I ran outside and looked up in dread then closed my eyes knowing everything was gone and there was nothing I could do about it. *BEEP**BEEP**BEEP*.


The author's comments:

Its kind of a connection to my everyday life.