Near and Far | Teen Ink

Near and Far

May 15, 2009
By McKenna Kramer BRONZE, Los Alamos, New Mexico
McKenna Kramer BRONZE, Los Alamos, New Mexico
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I walked through the door and to my surprise; it was empty. Just a cold, dark closet with three walls blocking me in every direction. As I stepped inside, I heard a light creek and then a single slam. The door behind me was locked. I felt my way around the tiny room looking for a light. My fingers became tangled in a thin piece of string. Without a single thought, I pulled it. The back wall, which was larger than the other two, slip open and I was in meadow. I turned around in hopes of breaking the door; but it was gone. There were no walls at all.
I looked around. Hoping to find somebody. Then, on top of a small hill, was a man: short and thin. His hair was long and blackish looking. His arms were slumped lazily at his sides and his knees were slightly bent. I couldn’t see much else of him so I decided that maybe he could help me. I started to walk slowly towards him. His features became clearer to me. His hair wasn’t black. It was brown. And he was tall: really tall. He wore a pair of faded blue jeans and a plain white t-shirt. His eyes ere a light green and looked dull. His fingers were tucked in the front pocket of his jeans while his thumbs were wrapped around his belt loops. He watched me move closer and closer to him, but he never said a word. I was almost to the base of the hill he was standing on when he disappeared. He didn’t fade or dissolve. He was just gone. I sat down feeling hopeless when I heard a bell ringing. The next thing I remember was picking my head up off my desk, grabbing my backpack, and heading to second period.


The author's comments:
I spent an hour working on this in my Creative Writing class.