The Stars | Teen Ink

The Stars

By Nichole jarlson BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska
Nichole jarlson BRONZE, Anchorage, Alaska

I sat on a bench alone. I was at Central Park in New York. It was 3am, so I wasn’t surprised that the only people I saw were drunken men and the usual night women.

I looked up at the stars. I felt like I could touch them. I reached my hand up and closed my fingers around them. When I opened my hand, though, it was empty.

“What are you doing here all alone, little lady?” I heard someone slur. I turned and saw a man in a suit holding a bottle of Vodka in his hand. “Just leaving.” I replied. I stood up to walk away, but his dirty hand enclosed around my wrist. “That’s no fun,” he said with an ugly grin. He pulled me close. “C’mon, we’re both lonely. We can go back to my place.” I pulled myself out of his grip. “No thanks.” I spat.

The man grabbed my shirt. “I don’t think so.” I sighed and shrugged my shoulders as best I could while hanging by the neck of my shirt. “Guess I have no choice then.” I said. I brought my left hand up and slapped him across the face. Usually, this would just turn his head slightly. However, because of my unique body, he went flying back and into a tree. “Oh, I hope I didn’t over do it.”

You see, not only have I had extreme hand-to-hand combat training, but I’ve also been a vampire for about one hundred years. Last night I was with my family in Boston, but some things happened and I just had to get out of there. So that’s why I’m in New York, looking like the perfect target for muggers, kidnappers, and drug addicts.

I sighed. Maybe I should go back to my family. When someone leaves, the family usually assumes the worst. A: The runaway figured out a way to commit suicide or B: They went on a rampage and killed any human in their sight.

I turned away from the man that had just tried to take me and started running at an inhuman speed, so fast I doubted that any human would be able to see me, especially not a drunken idiot.

I looked up at the sky while I ran. My original family from when I was human was up there, with the stars. Oh, how I wished I could touch the stars.

I just wrote this for a class assignment, and I kind of don't like it, but I felt like I should post it for everyone to see, to get a different opinion.