The Bright Red Apple | Teen Ink

The Bright Red Apple

December 19, 2019
By HotCakes24 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
HotCakes24 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My stomach started growling uncontrollably I hadn’t eaten anything in quite some time. I’ve procrastinated myself into oblivion once again, at this point I might as well just call it a skill. If the procrastination olympics was a real thing and not just a figment of my imagination I would be up their in the rankings, top tier I’m telling you. Along with my strong desire for food I’m running on no sleep for about 3 days, I wouldn’t quote me though because math isn’t my expertise. Plus my mind is not fully their due to low energy levels in my system. But I have to stay focused, this school work has to be done tomorrow or else I will without a doubt fail most of my classes.

I get up to go to the bathroom because I need to splash my face with cold water to help keep me wide awake. As I’m going to the bathroom, I notice that there’s an oddly placed bright red apple on the floor next to my nightstand. I close my eyes and reopen them thinking it’s just hallucinations from my lack of sleep, the engine’s running low on fuel that’s all. But as soon as I opened them I still saw the same apple, I’m not only perplexed, I’m curious as to why the apple was in such a random place. I’m the only one in the house since my family went christmas shopping and I know for a fact I hadn’t placed that apple there. 

As I’m walking towards the apple, it begins to melt slowly arranging itself into three words. The boiling words read out as “Pick one skill”. My immediate thought was that I for sure wasn’t picking procrastination because I had that skill down pat. So the next best option that I can think of off the top of my head was being skilled with mathematics. Which would be extremely helpful in my current school predicament because most of my unfinished work that remained had to do with math. 

I look down at the apple again but it wasn’t there anymore, strange but I had no time to question it so I just went back to finishing my school work. As I sat there working on my equations I could see all the answers in my mind. My hand would move the pencil writing down the answers without my influence. Every single problem on the paper was solved in my mind before I even finished reading it. Felt like my brain was on complete autopilot and I was just simply witnessing the beautiful work of art manifesting right in front of me. This work was going to get done in no time and I would be able to take a light slumber before school starts tomorrow.

Couple minutes later it was all done, my school work was complete and absolutely positively perfect in my eyes. The way the math was written made it look like I just painted abstract art, gorgeous. I definitely made the right decision on picking this as my skill although I would’ve loved to shortcut my way into being skilled at cooking. That would’ve been nice also, but this math thing I got going on seems to be working fine so far. I guess I’ll stick with it, as if I had a choice, If only I could ctrl-alt-delete in real life.


The author's comments:

This will certify that the above work is completely original

Rafael Alejandro Castaneda Lopez