New Earth, Terrae | Teen Ink

New Earth, Terrae

By MONARK BRONZE, Lebanon, Ohio
MONARK BRONZE, Lebanon, Ohio

"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing." - Iron Man

Hundreds of people, hundreds upon hundreds. Thousands maybe. People were gathered around a pedestal - It was a chrome-colored cylindrical metal piece golden accents around the edges - that stood in the exact middle of the assembly room. Everyone was talking about things, some people were yelling, some were just looking around for something or someone. Then, a hiss was heard at the pedestal.

Everyone suddenly went quiet instantly, only with the occasional whine of a child. The pedestal sunk into the ground of the assembly room, then after a few minutes of absolute silence, it rose once again. But this time, a man in a suit and white tie was on the pedestal - the suit was a pure black with white accents on the midsection where his white undershirt was - the man looked in his mid-twenties, he had dirt-brown hair in a businessman style of haircut. He then cleared his throat and began to speak.

“Ladies, and Gentlemen,” His voice was very authoritative and deep, “We humans left our planet for dead, we were too greedy for our home’s resources. We cleaned our planet dry. The generations before us left our home to die alone. My Great-great-great-great-Grandfather piloted this very same spacecraft when he ordered the human-race to abandon our home.” 

The man took a long breath, “He promised he’d find us, humans, a new home, and if not him, his son would. And if he couldn’t HIS son will. I, High Captain Kuhn, have completed that dream of his, I have finally found us a new home! Ladies and Gentlemen may I gladly present you, our new home.” 

A holographic projection turned on with a hum, a three-dimensional planet was shown, everyone gasped in awe, they were all stunned by this discovery.

The man on the pedestal smiled, “I shall call our new home, Terrae.”

(----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------)

It was a quiet Morning on Terrae, the bugs are chirping the flowers are screeching, and the occasional scream of a man who found a bug the size of a backpack was filling the air. 

James Holiday was in his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling, contemplating if he should act asleep, or if he should get up and just deal with the Morning.

James sighed and quietly said in a gruff voice, “Hunting Day…”

After a long time thinking if he should get up and get ready for the Hunt, he heard a bang and a crash from his kitchen. Years of military training kicked in and he got out of his bed at light-speed. He quickly grabbed the nearest weapon he could find, a model GN Mark VI high-velocity projectile pistol. Weapons that fire plasma are not possible, it’s was all science fiction.

James was in his shorts and white undershirt, it was dirtied and covered in sweat and mud.

He ran quietly towards his kitchen and peeked inside, holding the pistol to his chest.

A creature the size of a medium-sized dog and the length of a long snake was crawling on the counters of Jame’s kitchen. 

This creature was a well-known predator, it was known as the ‘Nights Bane’. It was a giant centipede-like creature. Its carapace and exoskeleton was pure black with white dots that looked like stars. It had sickle-like pincers and a tail that ended in a sharp point, like a scorpion’s. 

It also had a hood like a cobra made out of its exoskeleton towards its head.

The creature looked towards Jame’s direction, it shook its pincers on its head, making a clicking hiss that sounded like scratching metal forks on a porcelain plate. It arose and stood on its hind 20 legs, revealing its underside that was a bright yellow and orange, these colors represented it was about to attack.

James’s quickly noticed it spotted him and spun into the kitchen’s entrance. He fired three rounds - they sounded like silencer rounds - at the creature, the one thing to know about “Night’s Banes” they are dangerous but slow and sluggish.

The creature was shot once in the head, bursting open its brains. And shot twice in the midsection, penetrating its hearts then bursting out the back of its exoskeleton. It was for sure dead.

It fell down and slid off the kitchen’s counter with a splat of green bug blood ooze. 

Jame’s looked around to see if anything else was around, but nothing was to be seen.

He then heard a banging from his front door that startled him into pointing his gun at something that wasn’t there.

A voice could be heard screaming outside, “Private Holiday, get your lazy-,” the man cussed out a long line of insults before he got to the point. “Hunting day is today, I got a new recruit for you to train, get out here before I make you wish you didn’t sleep in late!”

Loud footsteps could be heard walking away from Jame’s house, slowly getting quieter and quieter with every step as the man got further and further away.

“I hate him...I hate him so freaking much.” Jame’s said while getting a pair of gloves to escort the bug corpse out of the house.

“...........Wait, trainee?”

After the corpse of the bug was dumped and all the guts, blood, and brains were mopped up, James walked into his bedroom and put on his camo uniform - a brown, orange, yellow-green, mess of a suit that made Jame’s eyes bleed with disgust of how horrid it looked  - He also put on a pair of matching gloves, boots, and hat.

James grabbed a rifle with a stash attached to it and slung it over his shoulder, he also grabbed the pistol he used to kill the “Nights Bane” and holstered it in a pouch on the side of his right side of his waist.

He walked out of his bedroom, into his living room, out of his living room and walked up to his front door.

James put on some shades and opened up his front door into the heat and the rising sun. This planet was uncomfortably close to the red dwarf sun - but it did provide the planet to live for a much longer time.

James walked out into the town, a small little town with many houses, a clinic, a weapons and storage facility, a town hall, and the mayor’s house. The center of the town had a statue - made of solid gold and silver - of a man holding a gun, Jeorge Koe “The Savior”. 

James walked on a path of stone, gravel, and some sort of cooled magma rock harvested from the nearby mountain volcano. He then walked towards a group of people on the edge of a forest.

A man that was watching and supervising the group heard Jame’s footsteps looked and towards his direction. The man then yelled at him...It was the same guy that knocked of Jame’s door, the Captain.

“Private Holiday, you’re finally here I see!” The man yelled out.

“Yes sir, I am,” James replied.

“I am sorry I was late I was dealing with a-.”

The man cut off James’s sentence, “I don’t care if your eyes were gouged out of your skull by a 10 foot beetle with pincers the size of cars! I expect you to be here on time, ALL THE TIME!” Spittle flew out of his mouth with every word he screamed.

“Yes, sir…” James replied in a sly bit of annoyance as he saluted the Captain.

The man turned back to face the group, some people snickered at James and the Captain’s ‘Talk’. 

The Captain turned to glare at the group, they immediately stopped and got into a line. James quickly got into the line as well.

The man began pacing in front of the line of soldiers. Then he became speaking.

“As all you MAGGOTS know, today is hunting day. Some of you love it, some of you loathe it.” The Captain glared at James as he went back to talking, “I do not give a two shoe ####! If you hate it or not, we need the food you bring back, if you don’t we don’t survive the scorching heat of summer or the freezing of Winter.”

The man stopped pacing and turned towards the line and yelled out, “Now no more lovely speeches, GET OUT THERE AND FIND. THAT. FOOD!”

Everyone in the line yelled out in reply, “Sir yes sir!”

Everyone in the line ran towards the forest, the forest had trees with blood-red leaves and trees with pinkish leaves, it was named ‘The Forest of Blood’. 

The bark of the trees was a darker color of reddish-brown, like that of dried blood on paper. Even the rivers were a pink color, due to the trees that secreted a sticky sap that dripped and ran into the river, staining the water into the pink color. The terrain of the forest was interesting, it was sort of like a plain with weird rocks that suddenly protruded from the ground to form small tiny cliffs. The grass was even pink and red, that people didn’t know why it was that color other than that is just what color the species of grass is colored.

James went to run into the forest, but the Captain grabbed his shoulder.

“Private Holiday, I did say you were getting a new trainee, didn’t I?” The man asked, for once he wasn’t yelling in his face.

‘I do recall that sir.”

The man cleared his throat, “Then, meet him, he will be arriving shortly.”

James and the Captain waited for the trainee for about 2 minutes before they heard loud panting and heavy breathing from behind them. They turned back to see someone running towards them, a rifle slung on one shoulder, and a giant duffle bag over the other.

The man was wearing armor colored in the camo-like fashion, he also wore a helmet covering his entire face that was also the same color - the eye goggles were glowing white -.

The man stopped in front of them, “I’m here, -Gasp- I’m here.”

The trainee cleared his throat, “Recruit David Carmine reporting for duty sir.” He saluted as his rifle fell off his shoulder and he quickly went to pick it back up.

James looked at the trainee, “Green as grass I’d say…”

The Captain patted James’s shoulder, “Good luck with the grass, Private Holiday.” The Captain walked away.

James’s looked at David, “First off, drop the sir act kid, secondly, welcome to Hunting Day A.K.A, the worse day of your life.”

James walked towards the forest, then he heard David talk, “I think this might actually be a fun day for you at once, look on the bright side.”

James scoffed, “You remind me of my brother.”

My name is Bryson K., 13 years od age. I'm an 8th grader at Lebanon City Schools, I love science fiction, hence why I thought I'd write this piece. This is a school project piece, and, this is actually my first ever public writing piece to people around the world to see. I really hope everyone who loves science fiction and aliens and other planets will like this writing, I'm susceptible to criticism so, bring the comments on I'm not discouraged.

This piece is about a soldier in the "New Army" named James Holiday, this is the beginning of a day called "Hunting Day", he loathes this day. He doesn't want to do it, but he must. Then he learns he gets a new trainee, this is the beginning of his story and his trainee's story. I hope nothing bad happens to them in the future...