The Creation of Splicing and Clones | Teen Ink

The Creation of Splicing and Clones

April 22, 2019
By MollyRoseKenick(MK) SILVER, Nome, Alaska
MollyRoseKenick(MK) SILVER, Nome, Alaska
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Professor Abbagal Houston was curious if cloning or making a new species was possible since she was a little girl. As a result from her weird intentions, studied biology later in life Abby and many techniques : genetic preservation, blood and chromosome capability, results of hybrid animal and plants. You know basically how to make a living being without parents. Many of her colleagues thought it was weird that someone was practically obsessed with creating life, and a scientific argument started from her passion. Abbagal wrote and published (along with some colleagues) a memoir about collecting data from animals and fusing it with plant dna. Her hypothesis is that we can combine plant with animal.


The memoir consisted that we are able to combine life and with technology we can use that to make living weapons or even a power source. Abby discovered all of this when she came up with an idea of taking a clone of a fruit fly and infusing the chromosomes of hawkweed. Since both had the same number of chromosomes, it was spliced together and a clone of a clone happened. It seemed that it would have worked, but something went wrong and it immediately shriveled and died. Stumped, Abby talked with some people and decided that the plant should be organic and the fly be man-made. So after many different tries, the fly-hawkweed was a successful hybrid. Their it was… A scientific breakthrough and evidence to support it.


After the memoir many people seemed skeptical about all of this. Some thought that this was nothing more than a bias story. For some, it was real. People wanted to see for themselves to settle the mystery. Abby sent videos and notes of the observations from the plant fly. The people went crazy.  Abby and her colleagues wanted to test more to see what could happen. The sky's the limit! So after some more experiments, and some more failures, they made a chestnut bedbug. Many more hybrids was made after “One more experiment.” Professor Abbagal said to her group, “I want to see if we can try this on bigger animals.”


The world was excited to see what would happen next. “We must bring back a mammoth!” Abby said. “Are your crazy?!” Someone replied, “We went this far with you, but if we do this we’ll be playing Gods.” All Abby did was stare and replied, “Look, if we got this far, the world wants to see what we can do.” Months go by, and a mammoth clone is alive. The possibilities of cloning and splicing is endless. To think all we have to do is play God and fiction will become reality. Maybe it could save us all.


The author's comments:

This is when I wrote a science paper. I'm fasinated by Si-Fi. This has a bit to do with the cloning and some genetic splicing scientist have been doing. I've been learning it from the news.