Silver Skin | Teen Ink

Silver Skin

By JuneJule BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
JuneJule BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

The thick metal door opens automatically, steam pouring out of the chamber. The room smells of chemicals and blood. Glass compartments line the wall; all are filled with small creatures of all types. A few mice, some species of cat, and even a few exotic birds. Their silver and copper colored bodies are frozen. Their eyes are peacefully closed. I know they are still alive, but I feel a pang of guilt, knowing that it is my fault they are like this. It's my fault the experiment failed. 
I feel subtle heat under my feet as my boots activate, suspending me a foot in the air. I lean slightly forward, causing my body to glide towards the back wall. The door closes silently behind me, trapping me in the room with the animals. 
I am surrounded by the creatures. I don't know why I keep them here, they are all reminders of my failure. I guess it's so... I always remember that it is possible. That I have a reason for doing this to them. I settle back down on the ground in front of a long, metal table in the back of the room. Medical tools including syringes, scalpels, and vials cover the workspace. I have always been told that I am lucky that these things can’t hurt me. Not anymore. 
My hand closes around a cold, glass vial of bubbling neon green liquid labeled 'Destabilizer'. I place it in my aluminum-leather pouch that rests on my hip. It brings back a flash of a memory, but all I see is a bright light before I forget the thought. That happens a lot. 
I obtain a few more items - a syringe, a human DNA sample, and bandages - before leaving the room. 
I enter a sterile, white-walled hallway. Humans in silver lab coats rush down the corridor, a few of them pausing for a moment to gawk. I know, with my patches of silver skin, the small screen implanted in my chest, and the high-tech gear I bear, I'm unusual - but I'm still getting used to the stares. A mix of alarm, fear, and curiosity. Good thing they can't see my insides. circuits and wires are mixed in with my organs, muscles, and joints. 
I hover above the ground as I make my way through the of maze shimmery silver. Too focused on my current task to pay attention to the conversations around me, I rush through the swarming halls of the facility. 

I wrote this a little while ago and just stumbled upon it in my old files. I rewrote it and it's definately an improvement, but I still need to work on emotions and thoughts from the main character. Any feedback is greaty appreciated!