Silver Skin | Teen Ink

Silver Skin

April 8, 2019
By JuneJule BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
JuneJule BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The thick metal door opens automatically, steam pouring out of the chamber. The room smells of chemicals and blood. Glass compartments line the wall; all are filled with small creatures of all types. A few mice, some species of cat, and even a few exotic birds. Their silver and copper colored bodies are frozen. Their eyes are peacefully closed. I know they are still alive, but I feel a pang of guilt, knowing that it is my fault they are like this. It's my fault the experiment failed. 
I feel subtle heat under my feet as my boots activate, suspending me a foot in the air. I lean slightly forward, causing my body to glide towards the back wall. The door closes silently behind me, trapping me in the room with the animals. 
I am surrounded by the creatures. I don't know why I keep them here, they are all reminders of my failure. I guess it's so... I always remember that it is possible. That I have a reason for doing this to them. I settle back down on the ground in front of a long, metal table in the back of the room. Medical tools including syringes, scalpels, and vials cover the workspace. I have always been told that I am lucky that these things can’t hurt me. Not anymore. 
My hand closes around a cold, glass vial of bubbling neon green liquid labeled 'Destabilizer'. I place it in my aluminum-leather pouch that rests on my hip. It brings back a flash of a memory, but all I see is a bright light before I forget the thought. That happens a lot. 
I obtain a few more items - a syringe, a human DNA sample, and bandages - before leaving the room. 
I enter a sterile, white-walled hallway. Humans in silver lab coats rush down the corridor, a few of them pausing for a moment to gawk. I know, with my patches of silver skin, the small screen implanted in my chest, and the high-tech gear I bear, I'm unusual - but I'm still getting used to the stares. A mix of alarm, fear, and curiosity. Good thing they can't see my insides. circuits and wires are mixed in with my organs, muscles, and joints. 
I hover above the ground as I make my way through the of maze shimmery silver. Too focused on my current task to pay attention to the conversations around me, I rush through the swarming halls of the facility. 


The author's comments:

I wrote this a little while ago and just stumbled upon it in my old files. I rewrote it and it's definately an improvement, but I still need to work on emotions and thoughts from the main character. Any feedback is greaty appreciated!