My New Family | Teen Ink

My New Family

By NellyBell18 SILVER, Wilminton, Delaware
NellyBell18 SILVER, Wilminton, Delaware

My name is Rose McNally I was born on March 18,1999 in a Louisiana hospital. I’m 19 and I’ve been jumping from one foster home to another since I was 2. I don’t remember my biological parents, I don’t even know their names all I know is that they gave me up and the sad part is that I want to know why. I started asking every social worker I’ve seen that worked my case if they can just tell me something about my biological parents. They always tell me “I’m not allowed to do that” or something else. Except for one lady, she helped me with a lot of stuff, so she gave me some information and 1 picture of them holding me when I was one. Now it’s June 17, 2018, I graduated high school and I’m on the hunt for my real parents.

I traveled to the first place I thought of; New Orleans, Louisiana. I booked the first flight i found to go there. When I arrived, I found a hotel to stay at so I unpacked some of my stuff. The next day, I started asking around and showing people the photo of them but no one recognized them. Two days past and no one recognizes them, not even a little. I’m on the fourth day and I’m still searching. I finally found someone who knows my parents; he said he had met them a year before I was born. He helped them find a place to live and helped them with a lot of things especially while my mom was pregnant with me. He also told me that they were young and just got out of high school.

He said 2 years after I was born that my parents were there one week and gone the next and that they were acting weird before they disappeared. He found them years later in the woods and they told him to leave, he wanted to know why they left but they ran off when he turned his head. He said if I wanted to look for them I should look there, so he gave me an address. I went the next day to find them, a few hours past and no luck yet. I saw someone run a little further up so I run after them. It was a woman who stopped and stared at me. Suddenly she said “Rose?” so I said “you know me?” and she said “yes why wouldn’t I know my own daughter”.

We walked and talked to where she lived in the woods. She told me why her and my dad gave me up. She told me about this inharitige that is in our family and that is why they left me and I would also get it before I turn 19 but I had no idea what she was talking about. She said she could help me through it all and show me the ways she lives. She explained to me that this inharitige is just part of nature. She finally told me what I was about to be and that is a wolf. She explained more and more about it and she said I would only turn on full moons, eclipse and other stuff like that.

So we arrived to where she lived, I saw so many others living their as well. My mother said that they are just like us and that they’re our pack and that my dad is the pack leader. My mother took me to meet my father, he turned his head and looked me in the eyes, he just knew it was me so he ran over and hugged me so tight. He was so happy that I found them that I could be part of the pack just like them. He told me how he became pack leader and why they never came back for me. He said that they were still learning themselves on how to deal with being a wolf and that they thought that I would be better without them. They both said they missed me so much and it was heartbreaking to give me up. He said he had responsibilities to attend to with the pack, so he had to stay.

Months past and I’m still finding out about my parents and being a wolf. More months past and so does my birthday, I’m a wolf and I have my new family that I love more then ever. I’m finally part of something where I can’t be judged about anything.