A Mermaid's Nightmare

The sun bore down on me, and the sand surrounding me. The sky was huge and blue and stretched on forever. I could hear the ocean but it was distant. Gulls cried overhead, but I couldn’t see them. All I could see was blue. It was so peaceful.
The peace was shattered as I tried to breath. I wanted to smell the salt from the ocean but I couldn’t draw breath. I tried to move, get to the water, but I couldn’t do that either. I was sinking, sinking in sand, and no one was there to help me.
The heat became intense, burning my skin. The sun became suddenly brighter. It made the water boil. It made the whole ocean boiling hot. The water washed onto my feet. It burned, set my feet on fire.
Wait… feet? I wasn’t supposed to have feet! I’d never even seen feet, yet I had them, and they were burning away.
I sank even further, until only my head was exposed. I still tried to move, still felt the sun, the burning water on my… feet. Finally my head sank under completely.
I sat up in bead, gasping for breath. I looked down at the end of my bed and sighed with relief. No feet, no legs, just my normal tail and fins. My sea-green scales shone in the dim light that filtered through the window.
I took a deep breath, with my gills, and watched as the bubbles floated to the ceiling.
My heart sped up to the normal pace and I lay back, and slept once more.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

SilhouettesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice! But not sure if a dream or twisted memoire . . . Anyway, just wanted to add that you have the same name  as me. :)