The Importance Of A Union: Up With Elves | Teen Ink

The Importance Of A Union: Up With Elves

By Ms. Ashley Nabors BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
Ms. Ashley Nabors BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas

In the far and distant North exists a place of magic known only to small believing children. Carved into the face of a glacier in the middle of this cold-continent is the North Pole. This city filled with small workers and safely nestled in a hidden valley, is my home. You may not believe it, but I live in this land of ice and snow. My friends call me Clara and I work twelve hours a day preparing for that special day that comes once a year. Through the centuries our small workshopp has not changed. Small, cramped quarters without and modern technology, we are forced to make all the items by hand. Most people think that Santa Claus does all the work, but in the end my staff of little workers and I end up toiling late into the night. For thousands of years it has been my task to make miracles happen. and quite frankly, I am tired of it. Mr. Clause gets all the credit for the many toys, their excellent craftsmanship, and their ability to last for a very long time. As a quick learner, I have found that I can do almost anything I set my mind to. The elves and I have many great ideas for improvement, but so far my little army of workers have been ignroed. Enough! Whe have had enough!!!

We have decided to form an Elf Union. Year after year, I check the list twice while Santa sits back and enjoys the cookies and hot chocolate I have made. This year will be different!! The elves and I are determined that before Christmas season returns, things will change. So earlier this year, I sent Santa on a vacation to South Florida while we made upgrades to the workshop. Replacing outdated machinery and hiring more elves has made all the difference in our work day. And now I, Mrs. Santa Clara Clause-the official union organizer of the Greater North Pole Area, am on a mission. New safety rules have been posted and our union has not taken charge of the workshops. Morale and productivity is up and accidents are down. We now work for the green and red plaid union label. The elves and I have a feeling that this Christmas Season will be the best holiday yet. After all, everyone know that union products are best. And if you want something done right, well...you simply have to ask a woman!

Erin Boswell said...
on Apr. 22 2009 at 3:29 am
Erin Boswell, Lubbock, Texas
Wow! A Great Story!

Impressive!