The Pale Doe | Teen Ink

The Pale Doe

By Finngiant GOLD, Tempe, Arizona
Finngiant GOLD, Tempe, Arizona

Don't bother arguing with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Many centuries ago, in the land of Gods and demons, monsters and myth, there was a deity known as Artemis, the Goddess of the hunt. She was the hunter of the worlds many animals, but respected them as well. She created a creature known as The Pale Doe, a symbol of Artemis, and a reminder to all hunters to respect the animals, and to only kill those creatures which had matured. For many years, the hunters of the world heeded her words, and only went after adult prey. However, even the wrath of the gods could not stop some mortals from disobeying.

There were once 3 hunters, called Algoras, Tempas, and Silonas. They were cruel men, of low birth, and had no love in their hearts. Tempas was the fastest, and enjoyed nothing more in life than running down on his prey, and was excellent at hiding. Then there was Silonas, with eyes like a hawk, who located the prey for the group. Finally, there was Algoras, the leader of the group. He was the strongest, and meanest of them all. He hated all creatures, especially ones of the gods. He convinced the others to find The Doe, kill it, and become known as the greatest hunters in all of Greece.

After many days, the hunters had finally tracked down The Doe. It was wandering around a small lake, and did not notice as the three watched it from behind the brush.

“It’s taken us a while, but we’ve finally found it.” Algoras boasted. “Nothing can hide from us.”

Tempas smiled evilly, and bent down, ready to run down the innocent creature.

“I’m going to get him first!” he exclaimed, and ran out of their hiding spot.

“Wait, Tempas!” Algoras yelled, but he was too late, as Tempas had already gotten close to The Doe. Being a creature of the forest, it noticed quickly, and began sprinting away from Tempas, who pursued. The other two followed.

The Doe kept running, and Tempas kept chasing. For nigh an hour the two weaved and ducked around branches and bushes, until at last they arrived at the bank of a large river. Upon arriving, The Doe, stopped, and quickly made a 90 degree turn to the left. The Doe moved so quickly that Tempas could not react quickly enough. He made it to the edge of the river, and fell, splashing into it. He tried to get out, but the rivers current was too strong for him to fight, and soon, it dragged him far away, never to be seen again.

Eventually, Algoras and Silonas reached the river, with no sign of The Doe or Tempas. The were at a loss, until Silonas had an idea.

“Algoras, I know how we can find that creature. I will climb to the top of one of these trees, and perhaps see where The Doe has gone.”

Algoras nodded, and soon, Silonas was climbing up a large fir, using the branches to ascend. After a while, he tired, and needed to rest. Upon reaching a particularly sturdy looking branch he sat down, and breathed. Looking around, he noticed a large bundle of sticks and feathers on another branch. Investigating, he found several large eggs, and, feeling hungry, decided to eat some.

After consuming a few eggs, he heard a loud squawking noise. He turned to face the sky, and his vision was soon feathers, the angry mother had came back to her nest, only to see her spawn being eaten. She pecked at his eyes, blinding him. He screamed, and flailing, fell out of the tree. He tumbled down to his final hiding spot, and to his death.

Thankfully for The Doe, the sound of Tempas crashing to the ground alerted it, and it ran out from behind a tree it had been sleeping near. Algoras saw this, and chased after The Doe. They ran out, through the forest, and into a large field. The Doe was pursued through the field for hours. At this point, Artemis herself had noticed, and tried to stop Algoras. She sent wild boars to gore him, but he smashed them to death, then resumed chasing The Doe. She sent hawks to scratch him to death, but he evaded their talons and continued running.

After many failed attempts. Artemis was starting to get desperate, and called upon her father, Zeus, for aid. Zeus listened, and went to Algoras. He threw a lightning bolt, and Algoras was no more. The Pale Doe stopped, its chase finally over, it’s hunters finally dead. It continued on, and no other hunter ever pursued it ever again. Artemis was pleased. Her symbol would continue on.