zoning in | Teen Ink

zoning in

May 11, 2018
By niajordanjackson BRONZE, Jackson, New Jersey
niajordanjackson BRONZE, Jackson, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Beautiful was an understatement, Lina was stunning. She was exquisite; breathtaking. The way she looked down when she got nervous, her chocolate brown eyes and the way her bang sightly covered her right eye. In this moment I froze but I imagined a lot of things and don’t even get me started on her name. A beautiful name for a very, very beautiful lady.
“Hey! I hope you guys aren’t about to close, it was the only bakery I saw open at this time of night.” I reached in my back pocket and grabbed my wallet, I was looking at her the whole time, she was so polite.
“No worries,” She laughed. I would love to make her smile everyday. Her eyes got chinky and her smile was wide, bright. Her teeth were white, plus one. I zoned out and she looked confused, she was staring at me as if she asked me something.
“Sir? What can I get you?” That wasn’t the first time she asked me the question.
“Oh yes, I’m sorry. Can I have a red velvet cupcake? Just one.” She smiled and nodded. As she grabbed the cupcake I saw her nails. So neat, they were blue. Was that her favorite color? I could stay and talk to her all night!
“I can ring you up now,” I walked a little closer to the register and handed her my money, our hands touched a little bit. Her hands were so soft, I was obsessing like a middle schooler. Get it together Max!
“Red velvet is my favorite too you know, it’s one of our best sellers.” I watch as she carefully places my treat in a box.
“Yeah? Well what’s not to like?” I laugh, trying to make conversation. “Who owns this place?” I look around, the decor is nice.
“I do.” She moves a piece of her hair out of her face and gives me a slight smirk.
“Wow that’s great, you’re great,” She looks surprised and laughs again, I realized what I said. “I mean this place is great, you know.” I grabbed my box and I didn’t want this moment to end. I wanted to ask her so many questions. How old was she? Where did she live? Too soon? Yeah probably, most importantly I wanted to ask her if she was in a relationship. Just then my phone rings. Why? Why. I looked at my screen, it was my girlfriend. 4 missed calls. How did I miss them? And yes, I have a girlfriend. It’s complicated.
“Thank you, have a goodnight.” She turned around and I picked up the phone as I rushed to the car.
“Hey, I didn’t see your call I was-”
“I don’t care, why aren’t you home? I called the office and they said you left an hour ago?” I rolled my eyes and started my car.
“I stopped at a bakery relax Cass.” I sat the box in the passenger seat and as she rambled on I stared at the bakery, I watched her turn the lights off and lock up. I waved, she waved goodbye. I hope she didn’t think I was a stalker, I hope she got home safe.
“HELLOOO! Are you even listening? This is why our relationship is in the gutter now! Because of you!” She hung up in my face. Who the hell is she talking to? She was disrespectful, she was nothing like this when we first met. She lied to me, she became more reckless. I would get smart with her here and there but she took it to another level when she went away for a week. She came back with hickeys all over her chest. I went away, I stayed at a hotel for weeks and she didn’t try to contact me once. I figured it was over so I went out and let’s just say there were a lot of beautiful females and I was up all night.
The relationship went downhill from that point. All we did was argue and lie to each other but nobody wanted to break things off, after seeing Lina I believe it’s time. I got home and Cassie was sitting on the couch. She gave me the a look of disgust and I didn’t even bother showing her attention. I walked to my room while Lina ran on my mind. I hope she thought about me. My thoughts were interrupted by a certain voice I was familiar with.
“You didn’t bring me anything?” She poked at the box with a disappointed look on her face.
“I wasn’t thinking, I was trying to get in before she closed.” I loosened my tie, I didn’t know when I should come clean. I love Cass but we’ve grown apart and she just doesn’t care anymore. I don’t see a future with her anymore.
“She?” Oh lord, here we go.
“It’s not even like that so don’t start.” It was like that.
“You’re pathetic.” She walked away, I was too tired to be mad but if  I didn’t fix this now, it would only get worse. She scoffed and walked into the living room. I followed her, it was time.
“You know what, you got some damn nerve talking to me like that.” I hoped I could rip the bandaid off instead of slowly ripping it. She paused her show and looked at me like I was a mad man.
“If you have a problem, say it Max.” She crossed her arms and got in my face. She was so pretty, nothing like Lina though.
“I don’t think we’re right for each other..maybe we should call it quits.” Why did it come out like that, that’s not how I wanted it.
“Well,” Her green eyes started tearing up, I hated when girls cry. When she realized I noticed she wiped them away and her whole face changed. “If that’s what you want then I’ll leave.” She stomped off and packed her things.
“I didn’t mean for it to be this way really. But you and I both know our relationship was over a long time ago.” I watched her stuff a suitcase with the clothes I loved to see her in.
“Whatever, it doesn’t matter,” She pushed past me and left her keys on the table. “You’re not half the man I thought you would be. Have a good life, I hope that girl is worth it.” I hoped so too.
“Well you know what I think! Go and get her!” That’s my best friend Roxi, she was so happy to see me talk about someone other than Cass. She hated her guts, she said she wasn’t right for me. We worked in the same office. I spun my chair to the side of her and sighed.
“I feel bad though, for Cass.” My voice trailed off when I saw the death stare I was getting.
“She’ll be fine!” Roxi rolled her eyes and I couldn’t help but laugh. I looked at the time, it was 5:00, break time.
“Well, I’m going on break I’ll be back.” I got up and grabbed my suit jacket.
“Oh hey before you go, if you need anyone to talk to about this break up Im here,” She was serious. “I don’t want you using again..” I stared at her, I couldn’t believe she said that but I can’t be mad. She was the only one that cared about me.
I hugged her and rushed out the office. I don’t know what got into me, it was something about her and I barely knew her. Before I knew it I was right in front of Lina’s bakery. I was hoping she was in today, without thinking I got out I didn’t even know what I was going to order.  I didn’t see her and I was kind of sad. Just then she came from around back with fresh cookies on a tray. She spotted me and smiled. My heart lit up.
“Lina!” I was louder than I expected. I walked over to the cash register.
“Hey it’s you again,” I saw her look at my ID badge. She giggled at the old picture. “Max. What can I get you?” You. I want you, but I couldn’t tell her that.
“I wanted to know if I could get a couple of those cookies you just brought out.” I pointed at them. I caught her looking at me, she blushed. I made sure nobody was around because if she rejected me that would be tragic.
“And I was also wondering if,” Go ahead. Spit it out! You got this Max. She was staring at me, waiting for the rest of my sentence. “If I could take you out on a date?”
She looked surprised and dropped a cookie in the hot case.
“Well you don’t have to, I-I maybe if you want to? Do you have a boyfriend?” I should just shut up now. She looked up at me with her beautiful eyes. I waited for an answer, maybe I should just leave.
“I would love to.” She gave a soft smile and I couldn’t contain my joy, I guess that’s why she laughed all the time. She rang me up and the cookies were less than they were on the menu, I saw what she did there.
“Okay, great so I can come to your house? Whatever time works for you.” I grabbed my cookies.
“Okay, tomorrow around 8? I live right across the street, blue house.”
“That’s perfect. I will be there.” I couldn’t wait for tomorrow. More customers came in and of course she had to go.
“Have a good day, Max.” She looked down after she said goodbye, she was so innocent; precious.
“He broke up with me! I’m moving on, your son was not the man you said he was.”
“Cassie, Cassie honey relax. I’ve always paid you on time. You have to get back in there, who’s this girl?”
“I have no idea, how much do I get this time?”
“Whatever you need, this isn’t a good look.”
“Whatever. Let me know the plan later.”
I went home to sleep, Saturday couldn’t come any faster. I hope she likes the plans I have for us. Then my phone rings, it’s my mother. I rolled my eyes, as much as I loved her she was so controlling. She was always in my business and still is! All she wants it to make sure her only son looks good to everyone else in the family.
“Hey mom, how are-”
“How could you leave Cassie like that? You two are meant to be!” This. This is what I meant.
“Hello son, it’s good to hear your voice.”
“Don’t play with me.”
“Mom, our relationship ended before I actually ended it. Lina and I have something better I can tell.” Dammit! I shouldn’t have said her name.
“Lina? That’s her name? What does she do for a living?” No turning back now.
“She owns a bakery, Lina’s bakery. She’s really a good person ma.” She laughs.
“A bakery?! She’s low class, you’re a stock broker! Dating a bakery owner? You can do so much better.”
“I gotta go, love you.” I hung up. Rude? Maybe. But she does this so often. She was the reason I started using, as a kid all she did was yell. I was never good enough for her. She compared me to the other kids and she was never home. My friend Jef and I went to this party one night and got hooked, he still uses but I quit when I woke up in a shower with people around me screaming. She never cared for me, she just pretended so I could be her “perfect angel”. Now that I’m deep in my thoughts I went to bed and hoped tomorrow would come faster.
I woke up to my alarm going off, it was 9 o’clock and I started preparing for today, hopefully Lina was just excited as I am. I made a reservation for two at Cantina, the rooftops. Then we would go to a karaoke bar, I didn’t care if she could sing it was all about fun. I figured I’d stop by Lina’s to let her know the occasion, maybe she wanted to dress special. I drove and my face turned down when I saw the two talking outside. Why? Why was she here? I slammed the car door and didn’t look while crossing the street. I was furious.
“Mom! What the hell are you doing here?” I got in front of Lina who looked upset. My mom laughed. She crossed her arms.
“I was just having a conversation with Lana here.”
“It’s Lina.” Lina came from behind me and stared into my mother’s eyes as if she wanted to fight. I was so confused but we didn’t have time for this.
“Mom go home. Stop butting into my life, this is what I want.” I put my hand on Lina’s waist and moved her inside her house. I never wanted them to meet. How did she even find her? My mom scoffed and her driver got out the car to open the door.
“Cassie says hello!” She yells before putting her shades on. God that woman is a piece of work. Lina closed the door and stared at me.
“Lina, I had no idea..I was coming here to tell you the plans for tonight.” She said nothing.
“You’re a drug addict?” I didn’t even know what to say, I was so shocked. I didn’t plan on her finding out anytime soon, especially this way. I stuttered.
“I used to be,” I sighed and she waited. “I’ve been clean for 2 years now I swear. Please don’t let her ruin tonight.”
“Max look, if you’re using I can’t take a chance on you. I refuse to bring myself around that.” I got closer to her, I was listening but I was watching her lips move. I wanted to kiss her. She’s so amazing. She had her hair in a messy bun and I tried so hard not to look at the crease of her V-neck.
“I’m not using, that was the old me. I swear Lina.” She held her arm and looked at me. She believed me.
“There’s something about the way you say my name that makes me forget every care in the world.” I coughed, she actually said that. She put her arms around my neck and hugged me. I put my hands around her waist, she smelled so good.
“So about those plans?”  She broke her hugs and smiled wide.
“Oh yeah, right. Were going to a rooftop dinner and then a karaoke bar.” She giggled.
“Okay, I’m excited!” I never took the time to look around her house but when I did it was her personality. She watched me look around.
“Yeah this is my place, it’s small but it works for me.”
“No, no it fits you.” I started to walk around, she followed me.
“Well I would love to give you a tour but,” She grabbed my hand and led me to the door. “Us women take forever to get ready.” I laughed as she opened the door to let me out.
“Maybe later?” She whispered in my ear and winked. I kept my cool.
“I’ll see you later beautiful.” I let it slip out and I saw her blush.
Before I knew it, it was time. I had on a navy blue dress shirt with my black slacks and navy  blue dress shoes. I drove to Lina’s with Michael Jackson playing. I hope she liked him because if she didn’t this relationship might not work out.
I got out and rang the doorbell, I held the flowers tight in my hand as she opened the door. She honestly took my breath away. Her legs were long and the color red looked so nice on her. She had her hair in big curls with a red lip. She was stunning.
“Well, you look handsome.” she reached out for the flowers realizing I’ve been staring. I followed her in as she put them in water.
“You- you look amazing.” Her dress was short but not too short, there was a slit coming up her thigh.
“Thank you Max.” She grabbed her purse and headed to the car. I opened the door for her and she heard the music.
“MJ? I love him!” Yup. we were meant to be.
We got to the restaurant and she was taken away, she loved the view. She brought her own jacket so I wasn’t able to give her mine. We ordered the same thing and had a good time. I found out some things about her and she found out things about me too. Her favorite color is blue, both her parents are alive and well. She has a chow chow named Peaches and two best friends. I could listen to her talk all day.
When we reached the bar she was excited.
“Well I guess I should tell you now. I can’t really sing.” I looked at her while turning off the car.
“It’s okay, I can’t either. Let’s just have some fun.” She got out and rushed to the entrance. I went first, I picked remember the time by Michael. It was my favorite song. I watched her laugh as she got up and danced to encourage me. I got booed off eventually and it was her turn. She gracefully took the stage. I ordered a drink as I heard her voice.
“Darling when you smile it's like the rain dries out. Now there's no more room for clouds.” Liar. She could sing and she knew it. She was looking at me, nervously she kept on going. She sounded like the angel she was. They clapped and cheered for her, when she approached me I smiled.
“What happened to you can’t sing?” I pulled her chair back for her to sit down. Her hair got in the way.
“Well. Surprise!” She laughed and moved the hair from in front of her face.
“You sounded great Lina.”
“Why thank you.” She took a sip of her drink and didn’t look away from me.
Sadly the night was over and I dropped her off. She told me she had a good time and I wanted to know when I could see her again.
“I never got to apologize for earlier. My mom just wants the best for me but she doesn’t know that you’re the best for me.” I saw her eyes light up.
“I’m sorry, is it too early for-” The next thing I know her soft lips touched mine. She took charge, interesting. I put my hand on her cheek and our kiss intensified. She pulled away, gasping for breath. She wiped her lipstick off the side of my lip and took off her seatbelt.
“I’ll see you soon Max.” She winked and got out of my car. I watched her walk in and I pulled off feeling like nothing could go wrong. I got a call from my friend Jeff.
“Yo. Can you take me home? I’m stranded.”
“Yeah of course.” I knew where he was, I used to be there. Jeff and I used to use all the time on the same block. He still uses but that never stopped us from being the best of friends. I pulled up and he got in.
“Thanks man. What’s with the shirt? You had a hot date?” He tugged at my collar and I laughed mushing him.
“Actually yes,I just dropped her off.”
“Man! You didn’t get any?” I looked at him.
“No Jeff, the time will come.” He laughed and I drove on.
“Well Uber, this is me.” He pointed outside and got out.
When I got home I texted Lina, I wished her a goodnight. She asked if we could go to the park tomorrow, she doesn’t work on Sundays for religious reasons. Of course I said yes. I went to bed hoping soon she would be laying next to me.
I woke up late, it was Sunday and Lina texted me to make sure I was still coming. Dammit! I put on a t-shirt and jeans and flew out the house. I drove up and she was waiting outside with a nice yellow shirt on and white shorts. Her hair was in a ponytail. She looked so cute.
“I’m sorry. I woke up late.” She got in the car.
“Jeez, I didn’t know I was that good Max.” She laughed and I laughed in relief, I thought she was mad. I drove to the park, we talked about last night and planned more things to do. Then something went wrong.
“Stop the car.”
“What? Why?”
“Stop the damn car!” I pulled over, what is going on. Just then I saw her reach down and hold up a small bag of cocaine. Jeff!
“Lina I-” She threw it at me with her eyes watering. She got out the car and started walking.
“Lina! Lina wait! It wasn’t me. Let me explain please!” I got out the car and chased her. She was fast.
What the hell Jeff! I slammed my car door and called him.
“You left a pack in my damn car idiot!” I was heated.
“Max I’m sorry yo, I was looking for that all night.”
“That doesn’t matter! My lady found it and she thinks it’s mine. I’m giving you her number and you’re gonna clear this shit up. Now!” I hung up and drove past Lina’s to see if she got in safe. I went home and threw my keys on the couch. I flopped down and unlocked my phone.
‘Don’t ever come near me again.’ I threw my phone and slouched. I hope he texted her and I hope he texted her quick. I couldn’t sit here any longer, our relationship can’t end before it even had a chance to start. I went to grab my keys but they got lost in the couch, after looking for them I sped over to Lina’s house. I knocked and knocked but she wasn’t answering.
“She says to leave her alone, coke boy.” I didn’t know who this girl was but she had to be a friend of Lina’s she was yelling from inside her house.
“It wasn’t me! My friend Jeff, he said he called and explained. Where’s Lina?” I shouted, I didn’t care who was staring at me. Females move quick. Just then the front door opens and she’s standing there. I could tell she had been crying, I rushed up to her.
“I’m so sorry for this misunderstanding. And I would never lie to you.” I grabbed her hand and she flinched. I let go, I waited for her to say something. I took the hint when she didn’t and started walking back to my car.
“I’m gonna kill him.” I murmured under my breath.
“So..you still wanna go to the park?” Lina grinned, I smiled and went in for a hug. She was short so either I bent down or she went on her tippy toes. She flew into my arms.
“Never let go.” I kissed her forehead.
“Well how am I gonna drive?” She broke the hug and hit my arm, I laughed.
Months passed and we had such a good time together. I met her friends Alessia and Kim. They were pretty hostile at first because of what happened but they warmed up to me. We saw each other almost everyday and I was so happy to be her boyfriend.
We moved in together pretty soon but I knew we could get through anything. Cassie tried to come back, Lina took care of that and let’s just say that Lina doesn’t play. My mother had no choice but to stop her controlling shenanigans. I still have to learn to forgive her. Living with Lina was like a dream come true, despite all the bobby pins on the counter and the way she runs through a box of Frosted Flakes.
“Baby, I’m home.” She came from work exhausted and I could hear it in her voice. Lucky for her, she has a thoughtful boyfriend. I ran her a bath before she got home and I prepared my hands for some serious foot rubbing.
“Max?” I didn’t answer on purpose I wanted her to find me and she did. She swung her purse off her shoulder and dropped it. She smiled, came over to me and kissed me softly.
“Long day?” I checked the water while she got undressed.
“Ugh, yes. My feet are killing me.” She got in the tub and let out a relieving sigh. I smiled as I watched her soak. After all this time I still get excited to see her.
“Thank you, for this. You’re the best.” She collected soap and blew it at me. I sat on the edge of the tub, admiring my future wife. She didn’t know it yet but I knew it the first time I saw her.
After her bath we watched some TV, both of us were Marvel geeks so we continued our series of Luke Cage. She fell asleep while I massaged her feet. I stopped and slowly put the covers over her. I got into bed, trying not to wake her. I faced her and moved her hair back so I could see her face. She was such a goddess to me, I knew I didn’t want anyone else but her. Lina came first in my life and it would always be that way.
“I’m gonna marry you someday.” I whispered, I knew she couldn’t hear me but that didn’t matter. I kissed her forehead and turned over.
“I’d say yes.” She whispered back and went to bed.
Lina was the kind of girl that you could never get tired of. Even when we argued she looked cute. I would always find a way to fix it because I knew I’d rather stick it out with her than start over with someone new. She was my world, my lover and my best friend and there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for her. People would always say not to settle down early because you haven’t experienced other people but I didn’t need to. Lina was all I wanted, all i needed. And as much as I put on a macho-man front, I hope she felt the same way about me.


The author's comments:

It;s my favorite one so far, I worked really hard on it.