Little Things | Teen Ink

Little Things

By Alicesque BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas
Alicesque BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas

Remember, that day in the summer when you and I would just sit and talk? About all sorts of things. About the way I talked and the way you always wore your glasses so low that they'd fall off. I didn't like it, when the rim covered up your aquamarine-and-emerald eyes. I told you so and you laughed and pushed your glasses back. You said you liked the Beatles and I thought you were weird for liking 60's music. You said you liked strawberry jam and strawberry icecream and strawberry cake and I never liked strawberries and you said I was weird. But that's okay, because you would sing that song called "Strawberry Fields Forever" in your really bad singing voice and I couldn't stay mad at you.

Remember, that day in the fall, when you and I sat under the big, ugly oak tree in the park? I was sad that day because my cat ran away. I told you she was the prettiest, whitest, meanest thing in the world, and you told me a cat like that could make it in the wild. I didn't believe you, so you bought me strawberry icecream to make me feel better. But I told you I didn't like strawberries.

Remember, that day in the winter when you and I stayed inside drinking toasty warm hot coco? You burnt your tongue and told me it was my fault for making it too hot. I thought you were silly, but I said sorry and I kissed you. You didn't say anything about the hot-hot coco after that.

Remember, that day in the spring when I told you that my big white cat ran away with winter, and you laughed and said I made no sense? I thought I made a ton of sense, and I reminded you that she was the prettiest, whitest, meanest thing in the world and you thought it didn't sound like winter and laughed, pushing your glasses up. I saw your pretty aquamarine-and-emerald eyes and smiled and you said, "What?" and it just made me smile bigger and brighter. You're really good at making me smile, you know?

The way you smiled back told me you knew.

Giving a shot at this submission thing. I wrote this as a epitaph for my writer's block.

Kiba said...
on Apr. 26 2009 at 3:22 am
I like the simplicity of the story. It sounds as if a child no more than 8 years old is talking to you.

9/10. It's so cute and uplifting! And I agree with Jamie, though... I wanna know a little bit about how the other person looks like. :]

DO YOUR HOMEWORK, AMANDA!

Sponda_94 said...
I love how simple and sweet it is, but could you go a little more in depth about things, say the "ugly tree" for example? Or maybe just add a little bit more about the humor that is in love? Great job, by the way.

JaemiiKae said...
Very nicely done, the imagery was gorgeous. I'd give it a 9/10, only because I want to know what the other person looks like.

Anthony said...
on Apr. 16 2009 at 1:07 am
I really like this story for a couple of reasons....The main one is it puts realistic humor into a story.. which is not exactly common... It was written as if you were doing the Exact things... Not as if you were trying to describe that you were doing it.... It had a descriptive body and wouldnt let you take your eyes off of it.... My rate out of 10 is 9/10 It was really good for overall... But it could of been a bit longer maybe with a bit more humor... Just a bit... It was really good.! I couldnt find anything bad with it or that you could fix on... But.... It felt a bit short reading it If it was out of 5... I guess.... its a 5.... since there's no 4.7...

on Apr. 16 2009 at 12:58 am
This is the most beautiful think I've read in a long time. So simple with so much meaning, I love it! :D