Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

Keerthana said...
Wow. I love IT.

icefireinsanity said...

Oh my god...

you are freaking amazing. i adore this piece SO much... you have expressed what's been on my mind for years in a way that no one can possibly scoff or rebuke...

simply too beautiful. I applaud you, sincerely and completely.

Sweetbeanie said...
Amazing!!! The message was so powerfully conveyed! I love this piece, especially the ending!  Also, interesting how you wrote this in second person.  It really made me feel what the girl was feeling!  PLEASE, keep writing!

Maximum.Ride This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So good I loved it so much! It's nice and short and to the point, but not too short... love it! <3

. replied...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm :
thats beautiful.

massacre said...
Story of my Mother's life. Great job.

MaryKate said...
This was wonderful and beautiful. Good job!

JelloAngel92 said...
Apr. 9, 2011 at 12:59 am:
this was really good, and sooo true. I have a story about racism too. It's called "The Garden Of Love". You should check it out. let me know what you think. :)

HelloKarissa said...
Apr. 1, 2011 at 10:32 am:
truley stellar<3

noodles188 said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:10 am:
This was completely amazing. I love how this ended and the meaning behind it!!

AmbRawr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm:

I litterally got chills up my spine.

Amazing.

Sumana2 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm:
This was absolutely amazing.

Lissabelle116 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:00 pm:
Heart touching

Shminkanator5000 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm:
The message was intensely true--and I loved every bit of the writing. Amazing! Check out some of my work? Thanks!

callmeVieve11 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 7:44 pm:
I absolutely adore this. I love your writing style and I love the message of the story. This is one of those stories that will stay with me forever!! Keep writing!!

outsidethebox said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm:

This was absolutely amazing ...I loved it!

to.hold.the.sun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm:
This is really great. And very powerful, too.

Elizabeth_DayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 9:37 pm:
I love how you wrote in second person singular.  Most people use "I" of "she" and it was refreshing to read something writen as "you."  It melded together so nicely that I think most people didn't even notice the difference... which is a compliment, but sort of a shame because it was brilliant!

Starkid42 replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm :
I agree completely - this is amazing work. It flows so well, it's as if I was thinking it myself and my thoughts just happened to appear on the page. Wonderful!

HollerGirl26 said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm:
Oh my god! I was blown away...that was SPECTACULAR! Soooooo good! Keep writing forever! Make it your career! The ending was absolutely perfect and the whole piece seemed effortless! Wonderful :) check out my work maybe as well???? Thanks <3