Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

consumedbygrace247 said...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:38 am:
I love the last sentence, its brings the entire thing together, wonderful!

writergirl2 said...
That last sentence ties it all together so well! Very good

KayleeRae said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm:
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Short and sweet... The way i like it!

ofmoonsbirdsandmonsters said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:35 pm:
Oh my gosh, I really love this! Very relatable for me and some others...nice job :)

eMiLyP said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm:
I love this! You did such a good job and I really love that quote! Nice work! : )

kaylasouthw said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 12:21 pm:
First of all, this is amazing. And I love that song.

Alyssalicious said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 3:15 am:
This is really, really good! You got straight to the point and I was able to relate to the character perfectly. Keep up your work! :D

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:47 am:
I loved the story! and was impressed! Great job! Perfection! :) (Sorry for the advertizing!) If any of u coulld read my two stories called the beast and nightstalker, that would be great! Also please post comments saying if u liked it or not. Thanks! And keep writing! :D

CatieKorn said...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:15 am:
I love this story! The ending was perfect!

Cubster said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm:
This is really amazing! I love how she has the guts to leave.

Norma-Bernard said...
Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm:

My teacher (u know her zero_k) read it in class and i fell inlove with this. Soooooo good! can you give me lessons i writing? cuz ur doing ah-maz-ing! Keep it up girly.

MOOSIC GIRLS ROCK!

NORMA-BERNARD

AJFruitninja said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:24 pm:
I had feelings for a guy who was of a different color and my mom didn't approve! great writing!

Nellie21 said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:41 pm:
Amazing feelings!!!!!

Dragonfly_Girl said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 5:17 pm:
This is amazing! I love the message and really relate to it. Keep writing!

Halcyon said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

( I liked it.)

midniteprowlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm:
oh, wow! i got the whole message in that last phrase "laundryis the only thing...". the parents wouldnt accept him just because of his skin color. i loved the work all together. good job

abnormal said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 1:54 pm:
Amazing!!  Very inspiring!!!

RisaLovesYouu said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:48 am:
AMAZING, Fell in love with it. <3

FlashlevitationThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 12:49 am:
very clever quote! and what a message, I think this is the best article I've ever read on teen ink!

kt315 said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 11:23 am:
that was absolutely beautiful! and so original! you are an amazing writer and i can't wait to read more of your stories!