Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

Ella1 said...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 11:40 am:
This is amazing. It is so beautiful

TheCoffeeKitten said...
Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:12 am:
Beautiful message and writing--very deep. I like this piece very much. It's pretty easy to see how this got published in the magazine. Congrats. =)

musicluvr3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the theme and the quote... Well the whole story rly :) great job!!

kairi.kaylyn said...
Wow. I really loved this article! Very well written!

freeforever said...

amazing story, so realistic and full of emotion. i love the perspective that you tell it from

Kayla__Writer said...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 12:10 am:

Wow I love this article sooo much!! You did such a great job!! This quote can realte to many people and i like the fact that you put it in at the end... the only place it would actually fit

ILYx3 said...
I love every sentence you wrote in the story. Its short but has a strong meaning. And that quote, i saw it at school lol. Great article to cure racism

XxilybbyxX said...
i love this and i love the quote it is so true,,, ppl try to put limits on who we can fall in love with but its never really love.... that was beautiful... keep writing! :)

chosenhearts said...
No lie this is like sooo true for me!

Darien328 said...
This is so beautiful.. I almost cried... Nope, I think I might.. It's so tear jerking and emotional. I love it. Great Job! You should definitely keep writing!

JuneTaz said...
This totally deserved to be in the magazine. Everybody's getting more an more racist these days- but when I finished reading this, I felt enlightened by the reality. We're all people. The laundry part was a great addition. Five stars, all the way.

Mystiecub said...
5/5. Good job :D

Posiedensheartbreak said...
This is such an amazing and inspiring story but I have to ask what inspired this?

SparkoraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Amazing, original, clever analogy:)

ThePeaceDaisy said...
Wow...it's awesome! I totally felt the emotions. The quote is true, "Laundry is the only thing that should be seperated by color" <3

sasha luvs u said...
I luv this story

Adnama said...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 10:00 am:
Wonderful! I loved it.  You need to continue writing.

bookbelle said...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 8:50 am:
Beautiful, incerdible, the kind of story that makes you feel for the characters.

J.DS. said...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 4:31 am:
Very nice. Check out my stuff? :)

olivevines said...
If this story was a person I'd marry it.