Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

weirdonpurpose said...
Bella! Bella! Beautiful! Bravo!

Tatiana said...
Wonderfully written! The last line was especially profound and perfect for the story! I loved it!

Scarlet_Quill said...
Love your style!

darkprincess replied...
I have a feeling this is the same person over and over again replying rude commnents and if you think this is bad and think you have the right to judge this writer you obviously are retarted on many levels....

vaggylicker replied...
would you rather me lie so he or she can't improve...i'd rather people tell me it sucked that lie so i THINK i'm good when i'm not....GOOD feed back isn't always good......and it wasn't all me, those were from my friends, i usually dont leave mean comments but this was really bad

darkprincess replied...
alright i apologize for what i said it was rude and if you really don't think it's good then im sorry i criticized your opinion

Adele C. said...
Jan. 24, 2010 at 8:31 am
I loved the ending quote!

imnotjaye said...
being a black girl in a white (but international school) community, this story touches me. it has emotion, opinion, confidence, stubborness and escpecially luv in it. everyone shood stand up for wat they believe in, like the girl in the story stood up to her parents because they being judgmental towards her. you hav great potential as a writer. keep up the great work!!

YeseniaG said...
Great concept. I love the last line; it's really important for people to understand this.

KerAnn said...
This is wonderful. :] I loved how you wrote this.

Kylie34 said...
Jan. 2, 2010 at 12:13 am
Wow. I love the way, just overall how you told the story. It kept drawing me in. Keep up the good work!

ARQUETTE13 said...
wow i love this!! i love quotes and have started my own love quotes book, and im adding this one too it!!did u write it?

Jayla163 said...
Dec. 26, 2009 at 12:25 am
Yes i love it.

OnyxDivine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
its kind of like the situation im in right now, not as extreme, but with the colours.<br /> amazing.

samidvd96 said...
OMG beautifully written. Nobody could've written better

DEMON said...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" continues...<br /> Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds. <br /> “What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed. <br /> I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to conf... (more »)

Zero_K This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
This is good! Have you thought about making a profile and submitting this?

Joyful_angel said...
WOW! that was amazing!!! u did really good. and it was really nice. it defentaly gets ppl thinking bout judging.

Megan_Massacre said...
this story was absolutly amazing! It kinda reminds me of how my life is with my parents. My parents do not approve of my boyfriend because he is "emo/goth" and they won't let me be with him or see him, and it does hurt to know that they will never accept him. This story was full of emotion. What inspired you to write this piece if you don't mind me asking?

marii816 said...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 6:02 am
while reading this, I listened to the song "All the Same" ... it has so much depth and meaning...I love it. The last line is simply AMAZING.