Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

Aduke9 said...
YES!!! You're amazing! Loved the last line!!!!

Adi-heid said...
Sooo amazing! I love it so much! The message is great, and it's written wonderfully!

Katie-jo said...
This was so touching! I loved this so much! Congratulations on writing such a heartfelt story!

curlygurlray said...
May 9, 2012 at 11:56 am
wow i honestly could have never thought up a story like that amazing job(:

TheDoubtMachine said...
May 9, 2012 at 8:40 am
What a beautiful way to look at things! Splendid! 

Annette11 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
fantastic!!! never saw the ending coming but wouldn't want it any other way, awesome piece!

cmgia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved this, even more so since I could relate, fantastic job :) x

Preparing said...
Wow. THis is beautiful. The ending is amazing and it really stands out to me. I love it :)

SilverSun said...
Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:55 am
This is such an amazing twisted story and I love how it is is just sooo touching, and that the girl in the story is able to look past her parents beliefs and all that. So pretty. SO touching

Lindsey31This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is seriously my favorite story I've ever read. You should get a metal or something. Not kidding. You are an amazing writer. This content is so simplistic yet it speaks volumes. If you could turn it into a romance novel and publish it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Brookealee said...
I was pulled into this piece from the very beginning, and the whole thing proved to be extremely lovely. The ending was eloquent and passionate, and I liked how you used her words to wrap it up. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

This is great! If you want to read an amazing love story, check out "Who is Elliot Swan." You'd love it! Feel free to comment as well. Just check out my page OR see the recently published work. Thanks!

HGfan1 said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 9:29 am
Great story(:

Kelsey B. said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 8:38 am
i really love this. great job.

Perfect_Darkness1398 said...
Great Job! I Love it, and the quote is really cool. I definetly know the feeling when your parents don't approve

NaomiStatia said...
OMG!! I love it! Short but sweet. Gets to the point....I LOVE!

billgamesh11 said...
Whoa! I love this! I think the last quote is just so perfect for the end of the article! Very original! Great Job and Keep Writing!!! :):):);)

kaitlin96 said...
AWESOME piece! Very discriptive!

IT_WILL_RAINThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
hey this is reaaly good, that is so true about laundry being the only thing seperated by color, great quote.

Oh_coconuts said...
Oh wow....I am fairly new to teenink, and this is the first I've read from the site, and it's brillant. That last quote in the end, so powerful. I adore it :)