Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

RavenBird said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 12:04 am:
Beautiful. I loved that, wonderful work.

Eatfoodzap said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm:

Wow, that was really beautiful! I love the quiet dread of the part with the shotgun, but them staying together. And the quote at the end- absolutely perfect! All in all, a wonderful little piece of writing!

Keep it up! ;D

ChowD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:47 am:
wow! i love this! amazing rhythm. 

brunett97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm:
this is a very good story. sends a true message. you have talent. keep up the good work!

love the wrong one said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:00 am:
i love it you should the person you no matter what color they i love how you put it it ery strong.

mflower2 said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm:
This is a strong story. It sends a good message.

Xblue_raspberryX said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm:
wow this story is so sweet and in a way beautiful. i love how people dont care about the color of people. i hate rasists

waiting_to_be_found said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 2:44 pm:
Wow nice. I love the final quote. I love how you wrote it too... it seems so reserved, and it's a good style for what you had to say :)

palak said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:00 am:
great job....i admire that you dont judge people by the color of their skin....hats off to you

cyanidesun said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:13 am:
Wow. Huge impact. I applaud you.

kittypryde said...
Jun. 27, 2010 at 3:28 am:
Whoa. that was really good, :D five stars!

ilove2read124 said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 7:43 pm:
LOVE itt its really good, short, but sweet.i really like it.love the ending good job =]

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm:

I LOOOOOOOOOVE it!  So thoughtful, and I totally agree with the quote at the end!  Completely incredible!  You're very talented.

Btw, could anyone who sees this check out and comment on my work?

HorsewriterlolThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 2:14 pm:
Wow! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it!!!!!

Anna H. said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 11:21 pm:

This is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I absolutly LOVE the poetry of it, and the use of the Sick Puppies song.  The imagry pops and the fact that you didnt use dialoge helped!!!!!!!  ♥  i love it!!!!

pixie5 said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm:
this was so touching... i can relate..

HopelessSharpie said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 7:04 pm:
It's so ironic, I read this this morning, and come six, my friends racist father was calling her white trash and saying she was lowering her standards because she had middle eastern and black friends, i hate people like that.

GatoPoeta said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 6:40 pm:
this is absolutely amazing. LLLOOOVVVEE it. touches me, and i'm positive others as well. keep up the good work 

Lanier42 said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 6:04 pm:

oh. my. gosh. i absolutely love this.

great writing. keep doing what you do.

peace, love, music

ThatClarinetPerson replied...
Sept. 14, 2010 at 7:43 pm :
gosh that was cheesy :) if i was going to comment again, i would say that there's no point in saying anything because everyone else has already said it and it would be redundant :) seriously, thought. great work.