Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

FreakShow818 said...
This is brilliance. I love the way it's written, the reference to the song, everything. It's beautiful, and original. There's nothing else like it on this website.

i_want_u_2_luv_me said...
duuuuuuuuuude!!!  that is soooooo true!!  i've had to say that to guys before to black guys cuz they wont date me cuz i'm half white, and to white guys cuz i'm half black.  Society has been corrupted and racism sucks.

Alexia_Grey said...
That soo cool.. but i wouldnt ever run away.. not yet at least.. but GREAT STORY!!

WhiteShadows said...

Quote..so true

Story originality...fantastic

Writing...A++!

Ninz59 said...

Great Job!

AliceForeverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This reminds me so much of the guy I've been crushing on forever...My parents aren't very fond of him, but I am! Love this piece!!!!

IluvmybffThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love this story. It's the same way I feel about my boyfriend too.

GuitarGirl92851 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is true.

emoprincess said...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 11:16 am:
this is rly gud. the mom reminds me of my own

amlee1212 said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 7:45 am:
This is truly amazing. I love this article so much. I think everyone should read this and understand that if you love someone, color should not matter. Fantastic job, I really just want to re-read this over and over again!

Inkinmyveins21 replied...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 3:37 pm :
This is amazing! I'm soo glad you showed me this story amlee1212!

amlee1212 replied...
Oct. 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm :
You are welcome. I think this article is one of the best one's I personally, have read on here!

communicativedistractions said...
Last line is amazing :)

Whisperheart said...
Wow, this was a great piece. At first I thought it was just going to be some ordinary story about how much someone likes their boyfriend, but by the time I got to the end I loved it! The quote really pulls the entire thing together, and I like how the quote is placed on top of a pile of laundry. Great work.

yogagurl said...
this is so awesome! i love the creativity! plus the quote is really cool! awesome job!

silent-is-loud said...
woowww.... i love how creative this story is. it tells a powerful story, without exactly saying what you mean. ammaaazzziiiinnnggg <3

. said...
i love this(:

ilovetinkerbell said...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 9:58 am:
this is very good. i am sorry for you. i am very glad that my parents aren't like that. You are right about the laundry. Only laundry can be seperated by color. If you keep thinking this way, one day you will change the world. Good luck. You are in our prayers. :)

swimster23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 9:45 am:
At the beginning I didn't think it was very impressive.  Once the author decides she is going to leave, the story takes off!  In the end, it was breathtaking!

theclair22 said...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 8:04 am:
Wow. Amazing comparison!