Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

MissionaryKid said...
That is so sad and very romantic! I love it!

Bay S. said...
great work- i truly take it to heart

luvstoread123 said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 10:39 am
I really love this story! It's really amazing!

writerinfinity said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 8:26 am
Really good! I enjoyed the style of writing you wrote this story with. I really like the quote at the end.

Eer320 said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 8:01 am
That was really good!  I had heard that quote before, but now, it makes so much more sense and has so much more meaning.  :D

anne.Brooke said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 7:32 am
thats really really nice...color is not a code for love...

Chanchie said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 6:36 am
this was really good!! <3

ManiLove said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 1:03 am
i really loved thiss! it was amazinggg !

bob the builder said...
Amazin my mom is white and my dad is black wonderfully written bus 474 rules

singergurl12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

haha i love you, Elijah. although i kind of can't believe you said wonderfully...

this kid is a really great friend and despite his bob the builder pun really smart. I immediately thought of him when i read this- it is so true. amazing imagery and detailing- good work, Zero_K!!! I love how you let the reader paint their own picture. keep writing!

Madi L. said...
that was really moving and the last part was so true

redhairCatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Really well written! Great job!

squalur996 said...
that was a great ending line!!! this was extremly well written. :)

chillifritoz said...
=D that was awsome!!i can relate to this by the type of music i listen to... i think you really put some nice thought into this sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

DakotaShadow said...
first off, congrats to the author, loved this. and to nikkigonefishing, its not a poem

nikkigonefishin said...
Wow I really loved this poem and Congratulations that it was published in the TI magazine it is absolutely beautiful and definetly one of my favorites :]

buddingauthor16 said...
This is incredible. I love it!

singingpenguin said...

I like this :) nice job.

I like that last line-

'The only thing that should be seperated by color, is laundry.' :D

VanendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Very well written and nice message, I loved it! <3

Gadzooks said...
Nov. 6, 2010 at 10:24 am
I love it so much! wonderful imagry!