Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

teenpoet8 said...
Wow.....so emotional!  The ending.....woa....

Chris said...
This is very well done, I love the power behind your story

Hollypaw18 said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 11:14 am:
Love it! It's gorgeous... :')

ellie315 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 1:02 am:

WoW! The ending was...spectacular to the least! I love how you mention the quote but don't give it to us until the end. I didn't guess as I was reading it that the parents dissaproved because of race...

This is beautiful. Do us all a favor and keep writing!

TheContentedWanderer94 said...
This was beautiful! It really left the impression of how racially diverse couples feel. I loved this! Thank you and keep writing!

higherlove811 said...
Ah, love this! So relatable, down to earth, it's excellent really. The message at the end is so pure and true<3

Jennay. said...
Jan. 3, 2011 at 10:01 am:
I absolutely love this because it’s exactly how I feel. I’m in the same situation, only she has no clue that the guy she knows as my best friend is actually my boyfriend to. My parents are so strict about white interracial relationships, it’s ridiculous. I do just bow it off and not let her get any hint or idea anything more is between my best friend and ‘I’. Sure, I love her but I love I’m too. Family does come first but not in this case because they are both... (more »)

Alia_Tan replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 8:23 pm :
agreed! "Laundry is the only thing that should be seperated by color" -epic quote!!

kat1 said...
wow! this was truly an amazing article. i loved every part of it, especially the end. It kept the reader interested. and it also gave a good message.

SoftballismylifeBobo5 said...
wow. i really love that line "laundry is the only thing that should be seperated by color" it is so true. i dated someone who was another color from me and my parents hated it. the school hates him, teachers, other parents in the district. and its wrong. he is an amazing guy. No we do not date any longer, but i know one thing is that he is like a big brother to me (he is over 6ft) and i believe it is wrong to discrinate him

htrae22 said...
could i kind of agree that if you put it in first person (using i instead of you) it could be better but i love the message she put on top of the laundry so orginal love it

MeganSeesStarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like it. i think it should've been written in 1st person though...idk maybe its just me but the you..you.you. annoys me in this story

amaranth178 replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 12:33 am :

I actually thought that the 'you-you,' was a thing to be appreciated as it is rare to find writers that correctly use the second-person point of view. It takes a sort of talent to complete a story in this point of view without losing the reader or rambling with descriptions.

It may or may not have been the best point of view for this idea, but that decision is always, ultimately, up to the writer.

I enjoy the honesty of the story. It is short but to the point and addresses a ser... (more »)

writer500 said...
Hey I think this was great! And look up some of my work writer500.

anonmyous said...
i liked it lots! perfect!

XxMyLove4MusicxX said...

Amazing that quote is just so beautiful " Laundry is the only thing that should be seperated by color".

Keep Up your work:)

doubleblacklover said...
I love the whole laundry thing, never would have thought of that, how'd you do it?! Just loved it, keep writng. Please check some of my stuff out, maybe I'd get some REAL advice!

franc said...

i loved this!

1. the sick puppies= MY FAV! haha

2. it may not be color, but my parents hate my boyfriend because of his age. it isnt fair but i refuse to give him up.

keep writing. i loved this!
(:

D_Beauty said...
Wow! I love this! I can definetly relate to this. The mother is like my father. This was truely cool. Keep writing! 

Trulie said...
SO TRUE. loved it. keep writing. =)

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_0vrfhvb0qg53p4u06jrkbv0mc3, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0