Dirty Laundry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

He is your world. He is the one you would live and die for. You love the color of his skin – different from yours – the perfect balance between light and dark, day and night. You love the way he tells you he loves you. He says he'll marry you someday.

But your mom does not approve. You wonder every day how anyone can be so bigoted. Has she not felt the way you do at some point in her life? She doesn't understand, just rants and raves about your “taste in men” in that nasally voice you hate – the one she only uses when she's angry.

Later you sit on your bed, and turn up the volume on your iPod. “All the Same” by the Sick Puppies blasts through the ear buds.

Wrong or right … black or white … if I close my eyes … it's all the same.

Your mom has forbidden you from seeing him again, and Dad's taken to keeping a shotgun in the living room.

In my life … the compromise … I'll close my eyes … it's all the same.

You remember telling him you were afraid but that you wouldn't stop seeing him. He asked you to run away with him, just drop everything and run, figure it out as you went. But you said you wanted to wait and see if it would blow over. The look in his eyes was sad, as if he knew your parents would never accept him.

You hop off your bed and start shoving clothes into an duffel bag, making a trip to the bathroom for your toothbrush. You head to your desk and stare blankly at a piece of paper, pencil in hand. You write a quote that has been in your heart from the minute your parents told you that you were making a big mistake. It's short, but it's all you need to say.

You head down the hall to the laundry room. Your mom has piles of clothes on the floor, organized by color. You grab bits from every pile and toss them to the middle, creating a mound no longer separated into lights and darks.

Green, yellow, red, blue, black, white – all heaped into one huge pile. You lay your message on the top. It doesn't say who you're with or where you're going, but it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.”

Vesperstar23This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 7:37 pm:
This is amazing! Thank you for sharing it! Please don't ever stop writting!

WriteTheYearAway2011 said...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 9:46 am:
That was incredible. I love how she stood up for herself! Great job!

BrielleM said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm:
WOW! That was very good! (: Great message!!! Well written, too!

xBaByGiRrL22xThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm:
Incredible. The last line was perfect. u have honest talent(; veryyyyyyy good story

LookingforPaperKatherines said...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm:
I will be honest, only two pieces of work on this website have left me speechless. One being "It Just Happened" and the other you may ask?
Your amazing work of art you have posted here. It is oh so amazing. I wish I could write like that, or even come close to this.

JennaDilynn said...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 8:56 pm:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! thois is awesome!!!!

TaphephobiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 9:45 pm:
when my white aunt's black boyfriend started dating her, her dad was not ok with it, it took some time, but now the two men are pretty close, this story just reminded me of it

bonapoeta said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 6:21 pm:
I enjoyed the story, though short it was very full. It shows that there is still a hint of racial discrimination in the United States. In short simply loved it. Keep it up.

koolwords said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm:
Race is a relative concept and you described it in a very profecitional way. I think this could mean a lot to a lot of people.

mimirocks124 said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 11:48 am:
this is one of my fave pieces of writing on this website. fantastic job.

MaysileeDonner said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 12:05 am:
I love how you hinted at things and made us figure everything out. niiiicccceeee <3

forloveofart said...
Absolutely stunning. Incredible message incredibly shared.  Good job!

Monjannah said...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 4:44 am:
Waouw, it's good :)!

loveisafriendshiponfire said...
OMG I LOVE THIS!!!

Clary said...

WOW. I don't know what to say. this piece, wow, its just absolutly amazing. It is leaving me speachless. honey, you will go places! ;)

keep it up girl! you could be the next J.K. Rolling, or Cassandra Clare! keep it up!

Becca H. replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm :

I absolutely agree 100%

Honey you ARE going places. I could see everything so clearly, feel her emotions, see her actions, and feel her heart. And such a clever ending! Luv it! Simply and naturally beautiful...<3

Alia_TanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

<3 love this! I feel like this except its like the other way around

awesome job on this!

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ahhh i love this!!! I sorta went through the same thing:P

teenpoet8 said...
Wow.....so emotional!  The ending.....woa....

Chris said...
This is very well done, I love the power behind your story