A Never Ending Dance | Teen Ink

A Never Ending Dance

By Tiffany Bartmann SILVER, Columbus, Wisconsin
Tiffany Bartmann SILVER, Columbus, Wisconsin

Hello, my name is Jacee J. Smith. I am a retired famous dancer and currently live in a small cottage in Ash Breeze, with my husband. My husband and I lived a remarkable life, and faced many challenges along the way. I thought now would be a good time to share exactly how we got to where we are now.
When I woke up it was raining outside. I thought it was perfect because, that was exactly how I felt. I took a look in the mirror and saw a short petite girl who was way to pale and had metallic green eyes that were way too big for her face. My hair was light brown, long and curly. I put on my favorite babydoll dress along with my jelly bracelets and shoes. I was thirteen and my father had gotten relocated to Ash Breeze. It was the middle of summer, and my parents had enrolled me in a dance class (they thought it would be a good way for me to make new friends). When I arrived at the dance studio, I walked in and met my instructor, Mr. Valentino. I thought he looked nice (and I looked out of place). I looked around as my parents and Mr. Valentino talked. Everyone seemed to be paired up already (I liked this sight, because it meant there was no room for me). That was until I looked over in the corner, and saw a little blonde boy all by himself. He wasn’t much taller than me, and looked shy. Then Mr. Valentino pointed over at the boy I was looking at, he told me that his name was William and that he would be my new dance partner. After he said that my parents made me go over and introduce myself to him, he really was shy (which meant I wouldn’t have to do a lot of talking). Once we both started to warm up to each other, nobody could get us to shut up. I learned that he was new to town too (which meant he didn’t know anyone either).Then the next few weeks were actually fun, I started to love dance class (I had also started to secretly crush on William).

Then when school started we were both ecstatic when we found out that we where in the same class (I wasn’t exactly popular so it was nice to have someone I knew in the same class). We soon became best friends. We practiced dancing after school everyday (we were getting really good too). Sometimes when we would take a break, we would go to the park to swing and talk together. We would talk about how when we got older we were going to be the best dancers in the world (I also hoped that we would end up married with a family too).
As we got older, William and I soon became the best dancers in our class. We starting going to competitions (we won too many awards and metals to count on your fingers and toes). I loved dancing with William, when I was in his arms, it was like the world was standing still and nothing else mattered. I was also starting to fall for William even harder than before (I’m pretty sure he was falling for me too).
It was about a month away from the senior prom when I was walking to my locker and saw William standing there with a white lily. I asked him what the flower was for, and he told me that it was for me, after I agreed to be his girlfriend, and date for prom. Of course I said yes, I’ve only liked him since the eighth grade. I was so happy, I finally had the boyfriend I wanted, and I had to go shopping for a dress (I even called and shared the good news with my mother, who offered to buy the dress for me)! I found the most beautiful dress, and the cutest matching shoes. When I arrived home though, my world was turned upside down.

My mother was looking at me with tears in her eyes (I thought somebody had died). Then my father looked at me and told me that his job had relocated him again (it felt worse than somebody dying). Only this time it was on the other side of the country. I began to cry and asked when we were leaving. Then when he told me it would be the week before prom, I busted out crying and ran to my room to call William and tell him to meet me at the park. When he finally made it there I was on the swings. He asked me what was wrong, after I told him the story about how I was moving (he started crying, and I swear I heard his heart begin to crack). Both our worlds would be changed forever.
We sent letters to each other everyday, then every other day, and soon only once a month, until we didn’t talk at all anymore. It was hard, but there wasn’t anything I could do on the other side of the country. I even gave up dancing for a long time (it felt too wrong to dance with anyone that wasn’t William). I wouldn’t talk to any other guys. I would go to school, go to work, then go home (I was pathetic). Then my parents forced me to join a dance class again (it really sucked). They told me they were sick of watching me waste away. Finding a new partner was the hardest thing I had to do because, nobody was even close to being like William.
Then I found a way to make it easier for me. I would close my eyes and picture myself dancing William’s arms again. I soon found this one guy that was okay. His name was Christopher. He too was also blonde, and just a bit taller than me (which reminded of William). He became my permanent dance partner. We practiced for hours and hours, day after day. We were so close to being almost as good as William and I were (it would have been impossible to ever be as good as William and I). We started entering competitions and tournaments. We won all of them too. We were famous, and had more money than we knew what to do with. One day Christopher came to me and told me he found a new dance partner, he told me that he was in love with her and that he was sorry. I was really relieved when he told me the news, I was sick of dancing, and had enough money to live alone the rest of my life.
After Christopher left I stopped dancing again (and I was too old for my parents to force me into classes again). I didn’t bother finding a job, or making any new friends (other than the servants at my house). I would dream about William every night as I slept. I even found myself eating tons of tomatoes even though I didn’t like them (they were William’s favorite food). Everything I did, and everything that was said reminded me of William in some way or another (I missed him badly).
Then one day as I was sitting in my garden of white lilies reading my mail, I found a letter from Williams’s mother. The letter said that William had been in a terrible car accident. He was okay only a few cuts and bruises, but he was in a coma (my heart just about stopped beating). The second I read that, I bought my plane ticket to fly back to Ash Breeze. When I finally made it back to Ash Breeze I was too scared to go straight to the hospital so I decided to take a look around. Everything looked the same as I remembered. The swings that William and I spent so many nights on were still in the park of our old school. The ice cream parlor was still painted the same pink and blue. It was like nothing had changed. Then I decided that I had procrastinated enough and headed towards the hospital.
When I arrived at the hospital, I found his mother outside his room. She was sitting on the ground with her knees pulled into her chest sobbing (this really scared me). She told me that William had woke up, but before she could finish she started to cry harder. I asked her what was wrong, and she told me that he had forgot everything and he wasn’t the same William he was before (I began to cry with her).
After I gathered myself I walked into the room, and when I saw him smile at me my heart skipped a beat (it was weird the way I still loved him even after 10 years). I tried to explain to him who he was, and who I was. I told him about our childhood that day, and how I was forced to leave him right before prom (it was hard finding the right words to explain it). Then he asked me why I didn’t come back to him after I graduated. That question really hit me hard; the truth was, I never even thought about coming back. Then he fell asleep before I came up with a good answer, I sighed a breath of relief.

The next day when I came back, he was awake and happy. He had asked me if I could teach him to dance again. I told him yes, and then thought of the perfect spot to do it. I told him I was going to take him to the very first spot we met each other, and were shared our first dance together (I thought maybe it would help him remember). When we got there, it was almost sad. I had managed to find the first song we learned to dance to, and put it in. I began by showing him the step, and then he took my hand and began to lead. In that moment something happened, something I couldn’t explain. He remembered everything! We both began to cry some happy tears but, we continued to dance until the song was over. When it was over, everything went back to the way it was before we started dancing. He didn’t remember anything again, except for what he had been told. It was a heartbreak all over again. Then I took him home and told him we would pick up where we left off the next day.

That night I went home and cried (really hard). I really thought I had fixed him, so that he would remember everything, but again I was wrong. I wanted to know what he was thinking and how he felt about what had happened. I was determined to spend the rest of my life with him but, first he would have to remember the love he had for me too (it was hard to think that maybe he wouldn’t). So the next day we went back to the studio and I began to teach him the next steps. Then just like the day before, he took my hand and began to lead, and once again he remembered everything (that moment really made my heart jump). Then I thought that as long as we stayed dancing it would be like he never got into that car accident, and we could begin our lives together. It seemed too easy, but I was right (it must have been destiny).

Soon he became just as good at dancing as I remembered him to be. We spent every minute together (He had fallen in love with me all over again!). Then one day we were dancing, after the song was over he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! I said yes, and we soon began the plans for our wedding (it was going to be huge). The best part of it was all the money I had from before; we didn’t have to work, so we never ever had to be apart. All we did was dance. Nothing was going to take us away from each other again.

Well, I’m eighty three now my hair is not as long as it use to be, and it has also turned a silver color but my love for William hasn’t changed a bit. William is still my best friend and devoted husband. After we married we promised that nothing would ever tear us part and feel the loss that we felt in high school. He’s taking a nap right now; we’re not as young as we used to be. The aging makes it harder to keep up all the dancing that we do. William still doesn’t remember everything so well when he’s not dancing, but that’s never going to change the way we feel together. It was destiny that my father got relocated to Ash Breeze, and that William was the only boy in my class without a dance partner. As bad as his accident goes, we are both grateful it happened because if it hadn’t, we never would have got our second chance. Oh, it’s three ‘o’clock, that means William should be waking up anytime now (it’s a daily routine). When he wakes up he likes to surprise me by putting in our favorite song (the one we first danced to). Then he takes me in his arms and we begin to dance. Then slowly as he’s holding me in his arms, I close my eyes and go back to the very first time we shared a dance.

Courtney.Firestone BRONZE, Thornhill, Ontario, Other
That was so cute! Dance and love, my favourites. :) My only suggestion is that if you are writing in the voice of an 83-year-old woman, the language and vocabulary you use should be sophisticated, not simple or childlike.

What a pretty story!

Stephenmcrey said...
That was good, just space out the paragraphs a little more.

Could you check this out to give me feedback?

TeenInk.com/raw/Fiction/article/96942/Our-Army/