Just an Ordinary Day | Teen Ink

Just an Ordinary Day

March 8, 2009
By kewdee GOLD, Kaysville, Utah
kewdee GOLD, Kaysville, Utah
13 articles 0 photos 3 comments

It started as just an ordinary Saturday. I was in the park sitting on a hill looking at the hard blue sky. I laid in the grass as the warm summer breeze glided over my body.

“Ah, so wonderful,” I sighed happily as my eyes closed lazily.

“Yes it is a wonderful day isn’t it?” A voice asked.

I sat up suddenly embarrassed, I hadn’t known someone else was in the park. I looked around franticly and soon spotted a boy about seventeen sitting on one of the swings not far from where I had been relaxing.

“Hello,” He said smiling down at me.

“H-h-hi,” I stuttered back as I felt a blush explode on my face. “How long have you been here?”

“The entire time,” He replied smiling.

I felt my face grow about a thousand shades darker red then it had been.

“No need to blush,” He said looking up to the sky.

I could tell there was something different about him, but I couldn’t put my finger on what it was.

Suddenly he stood up and walked over to me and reached his hand down to me.

“Yes?” I asked puzzled.

“Will you come with me? I want to show you something.”

My first thought was to say no. I didn’t know this boy, he was a perfect stranger. But as he stood there, his hand streached out to me, I felt as if I could trust him. So I took his hand and let him help me up.

He then looked down at me and I looked up at him and then, and I’m not sure why, I felt as if I knew him. There was something in his eyes that was familiar and comforting.


We stood there only a moment more before we began to move.


At first I thought nothing of it. But then I realized that even though we were moving, we were not walking.

I broke eye contact and realized that we were off the ground, moving up.

I let out a gasp and almost let go of his hand, but he held on tightly.

“Don’t worry,” He said softly, “I won’t let you fall.”

Suddenly we began to fly and soar among the clouds.

“This is amazing,” I breathed happily. I didn’t know how we were flying, but then again I didn’t really care as we soared among the clouds together, hand in hand. And I had never felt so free. Then everything went dark


When I woke up I realized I was still on the hill and it was the same day.

‘It was all a dream. The boy, the flight. Everything.’ I thought sadly, feeling tears start to run down my cheeks. But then I heard footsteps and looked behind me and began to cry with joy as I saw that same boy extending his hand to me.

Then he uttered one simple question. “Will you come with me?”

I smiled, brushed a tear away and touched his hand.