First Love | Teen Ink

First Love

By ksmith683 BRONZE, Council Bluffs , Iowa
ksmith683 BRONZE, Council Bluffs , Iowa

“Briella, you always take forever. Hurry up!” My mom screamed as I was packing my bags to go on vacation. She always tells me I’m such a ‘wait ‘till the last minute,’ unorganized person. That may be true, but at least I don’t plan every second of my day out like she does. Parents are so annoying sometimes. “I’m going.” I yelled back and bounded down the stairs with my bags. “Finally.” She said, breathing a sigh of relief. “Where’s dad?” I asked her. “Outside. The cab is here already.” she replied. “Okay.” I said back, with a slightly snippy attitude. I took my bags out to my dad and he put them in the trunk while my mother and I got into the cab. “Briella, how are you going to survive in the real world if I have to keep track of you all of the time?” My mom asked, and kept going on and on about how I’m never on time or how my room is always messy, blah, blah, blah. I zoned out and enjoyed the scenery on our way to the airport. We did all of the boring stuff before we got on the plane, then I popped in my earbuds and enjoyed the ride.
     When we were getting off of the plane, I saw a boy. Wow, he was a solid ten out of ten. Who was he? Before I could do anything, he was gone. How can somebody just disappear like that?
“Hey, young lady! You’re holding up the line!” I heard a guy say with a heavy brooklyn accent. “Oh, sorry.” I replied, not realizing that I was, indeed, holding up the line that was exiting the plane. I was so lost in my thoughts about that magnificent boy I forgot about my surroundings. When I was getting my bag, I saw him again. We made eye contact and I felt a spark. I think this is what love feels like, I have to be with him. Just as I was about to say hello, he was gone again.
     I read the sign that said, “Welcome to Maine” outside of the airport and I would usually be happy, but I was really upset. There was a one in a million chance I would ever see the boy again. We all went to our hotel, and since it was pretty late, we all decided to go to bed. I couldn’t sleep, though. All I could think about was that boy and how magnificent and perfect he was. I decided to go on social media and try to find him. I would usually have no difficulties, but I had one problem here. I didn’t know his name. “Darn it.” I whispered to myself and put my phone down. After what felt like forever of tossing and turning, I fell asleep. “Briella, wake up.” My mom said softly, shaking me awake. “We’re going to the boardwalk today.” I woke up and got dressed then met my parents downstairs for breakfast. After we were all done eating, we got into the rental car than my parents had gotten when we landed last night. The ride to the boardwalk was excruciatingly long, since I was so excited to get there. When we finally got to the boardwalk, we walked around and played games for a while, looking at all of the tourist spots. My parents had taken a walk along the water, so I was by myself for a while. I decided to get ice cream from this place with crazy good reviews. Before I started eating, I had to take a picture of it on the boardwalk with the water in the background for instagram. Anything for the ‘gram, as the say.
      “Okay, I think that’s good.” I said to myself as I was about to snap the picture. Just before I got the picture, I was knocked over by someone and my ice cream, along with my phone, went flying. “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!” I heard someone say, and they reached their hand out to help me get back up. Oh lord, it was him. It was the boy! “Oh it’s okay.” I said, flabbergasted. “Here’s your phone,” he said, handing it to me. “Let me buy you another ice cream” He offered. “Okay, thanks.” I said as we started walking towards the ice cream parlor. We both got ice cream this time, and I thanked him. “So, what’s your name?” He asked me. “Briella.” I said, hoping he would tell me his, too. “I’m Brandon, and it was really nice to meet you but I have to go now.” He told me and vanished once again. Back at the hotel, we packed our stuff to get ready to leave the next day. We all went to bed, and when we woke up it was time to go to our family reunion, the whole reason we came to Maine. After a few boring hours of meeting people that, apparently, I’m related to, we went back to the hotel, checked out, and got on the plane. At home, I jumped right onto my computer and went to facebook to look up Brandon. After about a half hour, I found him. His facebook profile said he lived in New York City, only a little ways away from Manhattan, where I live.
     I decided to message him on facebook, asking if he remembered me and maybe if he would like to meet up sometime. After a few hours of me impatiently waiting next to my computer, I heard the notification sound, meaning he messaged me back. He’d remembered me and said he did want to meet again! He told me he was at his house right now and wasn’t doing anything, so we decided to meet in the middle at a Starbucks. I spotted him right away when I got there, he still looks perfect. We chatted for a bit, then he did something I never would have thought. He asked me to be his girlfriend, and of course I said yes. This was about ten years ago now, and we’re happily married. Brandon was my first, and last, love.