True Romance | Teen Ink

True Romance

By Sam/abe SILVER, Barton-le-clay, Other
Sam/abe SILVER, Barton-le-clay, Other

True romance is dead. That's what they say. It's not true though, at least I don't think so. Just yesterday I saw him get down on his knees and and give her a plastic a ring. He told her one day it would be real and she smiled and they kissed. That's true romance. The other day I ran down the street, trying not to get wet and saw them standing, kissing in the rain. That's true romance. I saw him carry her through the halls to her next class. They were smiling and laughing, and I think that that's true romance. I think that the people who say true romance is dead only say that because they don't have anyone to love them the way he loves her. The way they imagine true romance to be. They're depressed, and feel so alone. No one loves them. They only say true romance is dead because they want to make themselves feel better. It's selfish, really. They make everyone lose hope. They kill the dreams of the younger generation. The kids who dream of finding their very own Romeo. The one's who want their very own love story.
As she walks past me in the corridor, he slips his hand in hers. "I'll walk you to your next lesson."
My friend sighs and tells me she wants a boy like him. I sigh and tell her true romance is dead.