Dream Boy | Teen Ink

Dream Boy

October 21, 2017
By Jasonx BRONZE, Oceanside, New York
Jasonx BRONZE, Oceanside, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I had been sleeping until I heard whispers and sobbing echo through my eardrum.  I sat up drenched in sweat. The patter of rain and the howl of the wind left my stomach in knots. I heard the crying again.
       I’m not exactly sure how I got there, but I was in my study and someone was sitting in my chair with his head down, crying violently. I walked over to him and said, “hello.” He looked at me with bloodshot eyes. He grabbed my hand and said, “I will never leave you.” I looked down at him puzzled, but he just pulled me close to him and said, “love will kill you.”
      Now I was in my living room but he had vanished...I had no idea where he went so I  sat on the couch to watch some tv.  Suddenly,  the whispers came back. I felt the sweat surface to my face and my hands started to shake.
     “You're nothing. You have no purpose in this world, and we will make you no more.” I clenched my teeth, and I looked around the room. I was alone. I went to stand, but I ended up falling. I felt a sharp pain in my arm. I was bleeding from a gash. This is when I heard the laughing of the whispers and I shouted, “Leave me alone!” I closed my eyes and then opened them. There he was.
          “What's wrong?”
           “What's happening to me?” I asked as my body trembled.
          He walked close to me, helped me stand, and he kissed me. My body felt like liquid for I could not move an inch. When I opened my eyes, I was back in my bed sitting up. I turned on the table lamp to see the gash in my arm spreading. I looked over, and there he was sleeping beside me. The whispers said, “love will kill you.”


The author's comments:

This was an assignment in my English class last year: write a short story through a romantics lense.