He Who Swallowed the Universe | Teen Ink

He Who Swallowed the Universe

By SofiaScarlat SILVER, Bucharest, Romania, Other
SofiaScarlat SILVER, Bucharest, Romania, Other

Fulfilment was not a word used often by young Warren Waymon. He constantly underestimated himself and had grown to believe that his place was somewhere around the 'average' mark, something that had only led to him living a mediocre life with little, if none at all, happiness.

On that faithful Sunday afternoon Warren decided that he no longer wanted to be deprived of whatever life had to offer and constructed a not-so-well thought out plan: he was going to sell his property and move half-way across the globe in hopes of uncovering his destiny and hopefully, happiness.
And so it began. Warren packed 3 of his shirts, a pocket watch and his passport inside a small, yet practical suitcase and sat his 5'9 figure on the backseat of a cab.
After going through security, Warren realized that the only thing standing between him and everlasting happiness was the tunnel that connected Gate 14 and the airplane. For once in a very long time the young man felt as if nothing was holding him ba-

'Flight 769 to Gatwick Airport, London has been delayed. It will now be departing at approximately 8:45 tomorrow morning. We apologize for the inconvenience.'

The dull, robotic voice blasting through the intercom immediately send annoyed passengers on a mission to find out who or what was responsible for the delay, while Warren simply sat down and allowed his body to be overtaken by negative thoughts.

Maybe this is just a sign that I shouldn't be leaving.
Maybe there's nothing out there for me to find.
How could I have been so stupid?

Standing on the rough airport carpet, overlooking the runway, he noticed the reflection of a young woman in the glass. She took a seat next to him and didn't say a word until Warren turned to look at her. Her small frame was drowned in fabric, from her dark green sweatshirt to the matching pants and over sized denim jacket. Her hair had been neatly pulled up in a bun, but a few small hairs still managed to fall on both sides of her head, framing her face.

'Daisy.' she reached for his hand.
'Warren.'

Maybe he didn't have to look far for happiness, after all.