Aftermath (Incomplete) | Teen Ink

Aftermath (Incomplete)

By musicfreak BRONZE, Albany, New York
musicfreak BRONZE, Albany, New York

We were walking to school just like any other day, except this time there was a bit of weirdness, probably from last night.
I was walking with my hands in my pockets, watching my feet hit the sidewalk. Being late December it was bitterly cold out and though I was in a big down coat, I was froze to the bone.
“Don't you have a test today?” he asked, the sound of his voice penetrating the silence and making me jump.
“Yeah, English.”
He nodded. “I have one in French . Stayed up all night studying. You know how bad I am at French.” I tried to laugh but all that cam e out was a pathetic wisp of air.
After a while of silence, he stopped.
“Haley, wait.” He pulled on the sleeve of my coat, making me stagger back.
“What is it, Jude?”
He paused, just staring at me as I stared back. His eyes were pools of liquid gold.
“I know things are awkward between us and all, but can we get past all the evasions and walked to school together like normal?”
“Isn’t that what we’re doing?”
“No, we’re walking side by side making pathetic small talk. But we aren’t walking together.”
I nodded and started walking again.
We were silent for a while, before I asked,
“Are you saying you didn’t enjoy it?” the question in a playful tone.
“What? No, that’s not what I meant! I just… I just want everything to be like they were before yesterday.
“Are you saying that one little dare will keep things from being normal?” I knew the answer to the question, I just wanted to hear what he’d say.
“It was hardly a little dare.” The little crooked half smile broke his stern face. Every time he smiled like that, it made my heart react in ungodly ways.
Suddenly he reached into my pocket and pulled out my hand, pretending just to warm it up. His fingers found their way between mine as he lowered my hand. “Though it was wonderful, nonetheless.”
I licked my cold chapped lips as my heart stuttered erratically.
“Oh my gosh! Your lips are blue!” he exclaimed, stopping and turning towards me.
He kept perfectly still (as did I), his eyes never leaving mine as he leaned forward till we ere an inch apart. He reached up and put his free hand on my neck.
“Let me warm them up for you,” he whispered, his warm minty breath seeping through my skin and melting the cold away.
And then, oh so gently, he kissed me.
It was different from last night. This time it was full of passion and love, though so incredibly soft.
Then, too soon, he pulled back and my eyes drifted open, locking in his gaze of molten gold.
“Have I ever told you what a beautiful blue your eyes are? Though it pales to your beauty.”
I blushed and diverted my eyes from him.
He kissed me again, and for that split moment I lost all connections with reality.

Most of the work I post (like this one) will be incomplete

I wish your work wasnt incomplete. you make the emotion of the chariter come off very clearly, and though you didnt say what had happened straight out you gave enough details to be able to guess. very well done.