A Coffee Shop Romance | Teen Ink

A Coffee Shop Romance

May 30, 2017

“Welcome to Starbucks, how may I take your order?” My tone was as dull as the expression on my face as I blankly stared at the hooded man before me. His gaze was set on the menu that was plastered on the wall behind me. I watched his eyes scanning the menu before he finally answered me.
“Hi, can I get a-” Once he met my gaze, he stopped speaking. His blue eyes twinkled and his face lit up like a child on Christmas morning. He smirked at me, leaning on the counter with his chin in his hands.
“Can I get a soy mocha frappucino, hold the whip?” His gaze never wavered as he told me his order, smirk still in place.
“What size?” I asked, making sure to keep my voice as monotone as possible. If I didn’t know any better, I would say he is flirting with me.
“Large.”
“You mean venti?”
“Large, venti. Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe.”
His smirk widened while I typed the information into the cash register.
“That’ll be $4.45.”
He handed me a five dollar bill, and I gave him the change. Grabbing the venti cup and a sharpie, I asked, “Can I get your name, sir?”
“How ‘bout I get your number instead,” he gazed at my nametag, “Genevieve?”
“How ‘bout no? Your name, sir.”
His smirk fell. He backed off of the counter, straightening his posture. He mumbled, “My name is Leonardo.”
I scribbled his name on the cup as he walked away, waiting for his order at the other counter.
A week later
Leonardo has come back everyday since our initial meeting. Everyday he strides up to the register, leaning on the counter, asking for his soy mocha frappucino, hold the whip. Everyday his blue eyes twinkle while gazing at me, hair hidden by a different hoodie each time. Everyday except today. It was already 1:30 pm, and I was starting to get worried.
“He’s already half and hour late.” I grumbled, my mood worsening. What if something happened to him?
“Hey, Genevieve.” It was him.
I attempted to hide my relieved smile by donning a poker face.
“You’re late.” I stated, glaring at him.
His trademark smirk was plastered on his face as he countered, “I didn’t realize I had to be here at a specific time.”
My jaw slackened. When did I start longing for his presence? When did I become so attached to him that half an hour later than usual had me worried?
“Touché. Do you want the usual? Soy mocha frappucino, hold the whip?”
“Actually, I just came to talk.”
I raised an eyebrow. “You just came to talk?”
“Well, I wanted to ask you a question.”
I braced myself. My body had a mind of its own and I began to smile. It seemed as if I knew the question already. I knew that I would say yes.
“What is your favorite item off the menu?”
I frowned. This is what I get for jumping to conclusions.


“You can never go wrong with regular coffee.”


“I’ll go with that, then.”


“What size?”


“I’ll go with a medium.”


“You mean grande?”


“Medium, grande. Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe.”


My expression was blank.


He laughed, “You’re so cute, Gen.”


My heart stopped. Did I hear that right? Did Leonardo just call me cute? Heat rose to my cheeks and I forgot how to breathe.


“Hey Leo… Would you want to go out sometime?”


“Genevieve, are you asking me on a date?” His smile was contagious, and I found myself wishing that I wasn’t behind this counter, that Leo wasn’t my customer, and that Leo and I would be together.


“When are you available?” I asked, praying that he we could go out soon.


“I’ll sit here and wait with you until your shift ends. We can go somewhere to eat.”


“Sounds good.”


Throughout the rest of my shift, Leo and I shared stares and small smiles. I was anxious to get off work, and once the clock hit five pm, I rushed to change out of my uniform.


I power walked to the table where Leo sat, and grabbed his hand. We interlocked our fingers, grinning wide.


He walked me to the parking lot and walked over to a shiny, black motorcycle.


“Please tell me that we are not riding that.”


“Are you scared?”


He hopped onto the bike, and pulled me to sit behind him.


“Don’t be afraid. I’ve got you.”


I wrapped my arms around his back and he laughed.


“I haven’t even started the bike, yet.”


“Shut up and drive. The sooner we leave, the sooner we get off.”


“Yes, ma’am.” He replied, jokingly.


Leonardo started the bike and drove out of the parking lot. My hair whipped around me and I tightened my grip on him.


“If you hold onto me any tighter I won’t be able to breathe.”


“Sorry. Where are we going for dinner?” I kept my eyes on his back, afraid of looking anywhere else. If I did, I might lose my balance.


“Just relax. I know a place that you’d enjoy.”


“Okay.”


My hair whipped around me the faster Leo drove, and I basked myself in his presence, wishing for this moment to never end.