Living In The Moment

I walked along the small wooden bridge that weaved its way through a thicket of trees. The lamps that bordered the outside lit everything just enough so I could see where I was going. The sun had just gone down and the sky was as clear as ever. I didn't bother to bring a notebook or anything. I didn't feel like writing. All I really wanted to do was relax. The sky was so clear and the stars seemed so big that when I looked out my window after dinner I got tempted into going to the beach for a while.

I walked for a few minutes before the trees around me began to disappear and the wood under my feet gradually turned into sand. The sounds of the ocean began to make itself apparent and before I knew it the trees were gone. Nothing but the open sea was in front of me. The stars filled the sky from horizon to horizon, and a small crescent moon was randomly placed in the middle of it all.

I slipped off my sandals and felt the cool sand on the bottoms of my feet. It was quiet and peaceful, not a soul around. Only the sounds of the crashing waves could be heard and the stars seemed about three times as bright than they were back home.

When I went closer to the water I could smell the dampness in the air. It was refreshing. It wasn't a feeling I was accustomed to. Once in sight of the tide I walked along the shoreline, just taking in the natural beauty of it all. The night seemed so calm.

I continued to walk slowly along the beach, just out of reach of the growing tide, and I periodically looked up into the sky. Everything above me made me feel so small, so insignificant. After a few minutes along the shore I went up the beach a little ways to look for a place to sit down. It was then when I spotted someone sitting in the distance. I could only see what looked like the dark outline of a young woman. I couldn't see anything more, but I had a feeling I knew who it was.

I approached her. There wasn't enough light to see her face clearly, but I could imagine her dark eyes and brown hair when she turned her head towards me. My heart began to beat a little harder.

'I was hoping I'd see you here.' She said as I approached.

'You did?' I responded.

'Yeah, this seemed like too beautiful of an opportunity for you to pass up. So I figured you'd come.' Her voice was really soft, almost a whisper.

I set down my sandals and sat in the sand next to her. I crossed my legs at my ankles and leaned back onto my elbows, just as she was doing. 'If I can't become inspired from a night like this, than I probably don't have any hope.' I said.

'Still searching for that inspiration, huh?'

'Yeah . . . I am. And the only thing I've found that helps is talking to you.'

She took a deep breath and then laid flat on the sand before responding. 'Glad I could help.'

After a minute I did the same. I could feel the grains of sand shifting to contour to my body. 'I'm beginning to wonder whether of not this was what I was meant to do, you know?'

'What?'

'I just'I don't know.' I sighed. 'You ever think about what you were meant to do in your life?'

'Too many times actually.' She began. 'And every time I think about it the answer always seems to change. Right now though, I'm meant to paint. And to sketch. And to draw. I was meant to put earth's beauty onto a canvas.'

'It's easy to say that when you know what your passionate about.' I responded.

'And you're not passionate about your writing?'

'Well, I am. It's just'maybe I wasn't meant to become an author.'

'What else could you be meant for?'

'I don't know. Nothing, I guess.'

She paused for a moment. 'Everyone's meant for something. Even you.'

Silence.

'You don't believe me.' She said.

'Well if what you say is true then what am I meant to do?'

'Above all else'above painting and writing. Above athletics and money. Above anything else in this world is the fact that everyone, including you and I, were meant to love.' She said.

I was surprised by her response. 'Love . . . you use the term so loosely.'

'But I don't.' She said, running her fingers softly over my hand. Her touch was gentle and I let her fingers run though my own. Her grip tightened slightly, as if she were making sure I wouldn't let go. I had no intention of ever letting go.

I turned towards her for a second wanting to see her face. A surge of emotion entered my body, and at the moment I wanted nothing more than to hold her in my arms and to kiss her. I saw a smile come onto her face.

'This would make a nice short story.' She said after a moment, her voice was still almost a whisper.

'What's that?'

'You and I . . . this weekend . . . right now.' She replied.

'I guess'maybe. An even better portrait if you ask me though.' I said.

'It'd be difficult to see the canvas wouldn't it?'

'Yeah.'

'But we could wait.' She responded.

'Until when?'

'Sunrise.' She said, letting go of my hand to reach behind her. She pulled out a blanket and spread it across our lower body. She put her arm around my stomach and then laid her head onto my chest. 'I told you I was hoping you'd come.'

She was so close I could feel her breathing as her chest rhythmically went up and down. My body suddenly felt weightless and my heart began to beat quicker. I wondered if she could hear it.

'Something tells me that tomorrow is going to hurt.' I began after a few minutes, speaking softly.

'Yeah . . . I know.' She said. 'To think that in only a few hours we'll be leaving each other. It's hard to imagine never being able to see you again.' She sighed. 'It's something I don't think we should talk about right now through.' She lifted her head and looked at me. 'Sometimes living in the moment is the best thing to do. I really don't want to think too far ahead. Right now, I've never felt so happy.' She leaned in to plant a soft kiss on my lips. She pulled her head away slowly, paused a second to smile, and then laid her head back down onto my chest where it was before.

Neither of us said anything for the rest of the evening. There was no need. She was right, why think into the future when the present is so fulfilling? There was a part of me that didn't want to sleep. I wished it would never end. Her body against mine made me nice and warm though, and her rhythmic breathing began to make me drowsy. Before I knew it my eyes were beginning to droop. I took one last look up at the stars and then subconsciously closed my eyes, falling asleep.

Dex <3 said...
wow. this was amazing. you put what i always imagined falling in love would feel like in to words. great job1

logo24 said...
great job! this really pulled me in. I loved the imagery and the mood of the story. It seems real!

Jhinz14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm :
Thanks a lot. I appreciate that.

Melissa06 said...
i really liked this.. i acctually think that maybe this happened to you. I love your writing it paint an overwhelmig picture or movie i would say in my head you've accctually inspirexd me to write a story of my own!!! :)

Dec. 17, 2009 at 4:11 pm :
I get this a lot haha. Unfortunately, it didn't actually happen me. =/ I can't say that i wasn't inspired by a moment similar to it though . . . It's just been a small part of a story that's been going through my head for a while ya know? I'm really glad you liked it and I think it's fantastic that it inspired you to begin to write your own! If you plan on posting it to this site you're going to definitely have to send me the link! If you're int... (more »)

Dec. 20, 2009 at 4:16 pm :
People say that all the time haha unfortunately, no it didn't happen to me :/ I can't say that I wasn't inspired by a moment similar to it though . . . I really appreciate your kind words and I hope that once you do get a story on here that you send me the link! if you'd like to know what happens next i posted another story http ://www.teenink .com /fiction/romance/article/149895/Living-In-The-Moment-Sunrise/

DEMON said...
EDWARD & BELLA...ROMEO & JULIET...JACK SPARROW & RUM...We all have our dreams of love and forever. I give you "DARIAN & CLARA...EVERYONE WHO DESIRES THAT MAGIC...LOVE...Would you be kind enough to voice your opinion about...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS"
Wisps of smoke danced into the wintry air from my lips, creating ornate designs that could never be replicated. I carefully tilted the corners of my lips into a smile that I meant to be wry. Of course, it'... (more »)

DEMON said...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" It continues...
Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds.
“What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed.
I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to confro... (more »)

Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:04 am :
I'd appreciate it if you didn't post your article on my page. It's unfair to me and it's not my fault if your story isn't getting noticed. Don't exploit my hard work by trying to get people to notice yours. If you'd like to comment on MY writing, go right ahead. If not, why don't you stop posting your article on everybody else's stories.

DEMON replied...
Jan. 9, 2010 at 1:18 pm :
I do sincerely apologize if I have offended you, good sir. I have had people rant that I steal their limelight, and I have had people who love my writing. Your character is evident in what you have said. Half-empty sort of person, aren't you? To be quite the gentleman (such a rarity in a 17-year-old!) I enjoyed your story, "Living in the Moment." I thought it was rather touching, and intimate. I think you relate well to the boundaries of reality, and the dialogue flows smoothly. I... (more »)

Natie said...
This is..soo..beyond words! I love it! Is there a continuation? I'd love to read it if there is..It was perfect:) It was so descriptive. Aha it reminds me of the time I was with a guy, don't worry we just laid there to 'live in the moment' but i never knew guys get nervous too? Wow I'll try not to be intimidating to the next guy next time. lol. Anyways awesome job, keep writing:)
-Natie

Dec. 13, 2009 at 1:03 pm :
Yup, I've continued the story. I posted a link a couple comments below.
Thanks for the kind words.

Jhinz14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
To those who want to know what happens next . . . http ://www.teenink .com /fiction/romance/article/149895/Living-In-The-Moment-Sunrise/

kassie:) said...
This is absolutely amazing.
You're good. Well, actually really good. Maybe even great. :)

lexi<3 said...
niceeeeee. i enjoyed the descriptions and th story line in general. good job.

JordanNicole said...
I love this! :) Hope to read more of your work soon. Keep up the good work.

Nov. 15, 2009 at 1:50 pm :
Thank you for your kind comments. Thank you EVERYONE for all of your compliments and criticisms. Because of all of you I have taken the time to continue the story. I've submitted it and will post a link when the story is posted online.
Again,
Thank you!

JordanNicole replied...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:59 pm :
That's great... :)

maragrace said...
Hey>> Great Job on this, the dialogue is great, the ending is really strong, and the descriptions are pretty cool too, especially towards the end. Keep Writing.

Lungi101 said...
Oct. 22, 2009 at 7:09 am:
Wow!!! that is amazing! youre reali talented and you should write more!!! super duper awesome! im gona share this wit al my friends its reali good! Brilliant.

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_jenh4p3dn9bmaaguvci52t6062, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0