Bliss High Romance | Teen Ink

Bliss High Romance

As Ely and I walked through the doors of Bliss High hand-in-hand we got the usual happy stares and glances from everyone around us. I flashed my fake smile to everyone looking at me. Today was different for me though. Today would be the day I broke it off with Ely. Ely and I have been dating for two years on and off. I realized that I wasn’t in love with him anymore, about six months ago. I don’t know why I have been dragging it along so long, but I have. I secretly have a big crush on Sheldon Corm. He is the captain of the Chess Team. I know I shouldn’t have a crush on Sheldon, but I do. He is a nerd, and I am the most popular girl in school. That never happens.
So Ely walks me to my locker and leans down to kiss me. I turn my head the other direction so that he can’t. He gives me this baffled look, like I had ten heads. The smell of Ely’s cologne was just about gagging me.
“Um, Ely we need to talk.”
“What about, baby?” He replied in his sweet southern drawl.
“It's about us. I don’t think we can be an “US” anymore. I think we should break-up.”
“Babe, you can’t be serious. We’ve been together for two years now. I am madly in love with you, Madison. You don’t want to do this.” He looked at me, and I could see the tears forming in his big, blue eyes.
“Ely, I have, too! I am not in love with you anymore. I can’t keep dragging this along. I want you to be able to find love with someone else. I can’t do this anymore.” I told him, and he just looked at me. In a few seconds he punched the locker behind my head. The chatter in the hall that I’d heard before completely stopped.
“Why are you doing this to me, Mads? I love you.” He looked at me, and the tears were streaming down his face and mine too.
“Ely, it’s over. I am sorry.” I reached up to give him a hug, and he pushed me away.
“I can’t believe this.” Those were the last words he said to me before he walked away.
I didn’t know he was going to get that mad at me. It had to be done though, and I don’t have feelings for him anymore. My two best friends came up to me, and both hugged me.
“Thanks, girls that was rough.” I told them, through tears.
“Its okay sweetie, don’t worry about him, all the girls in the school have a thing for him. He will find someone else.” Mikayla told me, with a hand on my shoulder.
“Yeah, he’ll be fine.” Joanna said with her hand on my other shoulder.
All the people around us were looking at me with sympathetic glances. I didn’t want to hurt him, like I did, but I had to do what made me happy.
“Well, girls I got to get to Algebra 2. You know how Mrs. Brown is.” I walked away from them and down to my class. I walked in and picked a new seat next to Sheldon. Yes, the one I like. My face was still all red from crying. Sheldon just gave me simple grin.

“You’re name is Madison, right? Well, I am Sheldon.” Sheldon reached over and shook my hand.
“Yeah I’m Madison.”
“So what’s wrong, why are you so sad? A pretty girl like you shouldn’t be crying.”
“Oh, thanks well I just broke up with my boyfriend, for this unsuspecting guy. I’ve liked him for a long time, but he doesn’t know it. He is totally not in my league.”
“Oh, well you are in quite a predicament. If you need to talk to someone, call me.”
Sheldon ripped off a piece of paper and wrote his phone number on it. I will never forget it, 190-311-5693. Driving home that night, I couldn’t help but smile Two days later, I decided to call Sheldon. I had butterflies in my stomach, I was so nervous.
“Hello.” Sheldon sputtered out.
“Hi Sheldon, it’s um Madison from math. Do you want to meet at the Café bistro downtown? I kind of need to talk to someone.”
“Uh, yeah, I guess so.” Sheldon replied.
“Okay, in like 15min, does that sound good?” I responded.
“Yeah, it sounds great.” Sheldon then hung up, without saying goodbye.
I pulled into the café about 12 minutes later and Sheldon was already there. I knew, because his mom’s station wagon was already parked in a spot. I walked into the café, the smell of the sweet home baked breads was like heaven and it hit you in the face as soon as you walked in. I spotted him way in the corner, looking around. His face lit up when he saw me. I slowly maneuvered my way over to his table. I pulled out the soft cushiony chair and sat down.
“Hey, how are you?”
“I’m good, even though it’s only been a couple of days since we last spoke.”
“Yeah, I didn’t even realize it.”
“So, why’d you want to talk to me?” Sheldon asked.
“You are just so nice, and I really needed someone to talk to.”
After about two hours of talking about her relationship with Ely, Sheldon just sat there and smiled at her. After asking what about three times Sheldon spoke up.

“Umm, Madison, would you um, be um, my girlfriend?”
I just looked at him for a minute. Startled by his question I didn’t answer him. I just got up and went to the bathroom. After realizing that that was a stupid move I went back out to the table. Sheldon was still there. He looked so cute too, in his Weezer t-shirt and dark denim wash jeans. Sheldon had big green eyes and longer hair than normal boys. He kind of had the little kid look going for him. He had a pair of glasses that reminded me of Harry Potter
“I’m sorry about that.” Sheldon said. “I just really like you.”
“Yeah, when I told you I liked someone earlier, I was talking about you.”
I then reached across the table, and grabbed his hand, and told him my answer. I told him yes. Even though I had broken it off with Ely the same day, I really liked Sheldon so it didn’t matter.

That night Ely called me. He just kept yelling into the phone. He had heard that Sheldon asked me out and I said yes.
“You know what Madison, you are nothing but a slut. I should’ve listened to Troy and the guys when they said you only want one thing and nothing else. I never want to see your nasty face again.”
“Ely, STOP. I am not a slut, just because I am dating someone else. You are so jealous and oblivious to everything around you. It’s over.”

I got off the phone with Ely and just started sobbing. I didn’t do anything wrong, why should I be getting yelled at because I broke up with someone. He is so abusive, never physically, but emotionally. My phone started ringing, it was Sheldon calling me. I silenced it, I didn’t feel like talking to anyone right now.

About an hour Sheldon called again and I answered it.
“H-Hello Sheldon” I muttered.
“Hey Madison, what’s wrong?”
“Ely just cal-.” I couldn’t even get the sentence out without crying. “Ely just called me and called me a slut, and told me I am nasty.”
“Ok. I am sick of him; he has always been a jerk to everyone that he doesn’t like.”

Sheldon hung up on me and didn’t call me back that night. When I got to school the next day and pulled my Audi into the parking lot Sheldon was waiting for me.
“Hey.” Sheldon took hold of my hand and we walked into the building. “This conflict with Ely ends today, Madison.” He led me into the cafeteria where Ely was standing in a big group of his jock buddies.
Sheldon walked up to him and shoved him. “Oh Ely, you like picking on girls do you. You like to be the big jock even with girls.”
“Oh shut-up nerd. You don’t know anything.” Ely spat back.
Sheldon raised his voice to a yell, and everyone in the cafeteria turned to look. “NO, DON’T TELL ME TO SHUT-UP. You are nothing but a big bully, and that ends now.”
“Oh and what are you going to do about it.” Ely shouted back.
“This.” Sheldon shoved Ely and put his leg under his left foot and made Ely fall right on his butt. Everyone started laughing. Ely turned ten shades of red. That was the last time we talked, other than when he apologized for being such a jerk.

Zephyra said...
on Mar. 30 2009 at 12:29 am
You made a wonderful comment by Sheldon in math class when he said, "A pretty girl like you shouldn't be crying." It seems sweet of him that he should call her pretty instead of "hot" or "sexy". Not that he would call her that off the bat, but its a cute line. I like your story!