Ich Liebe Dich | Teen Ink

Ich Liebe Dich

By Scomicheisreal BRONZE, Salina, Kansas
Scomicheisreal BRONZE, Salina, Kansas

"Just Keep Swimming"

Sophia was sitting in her writing class and it was finals week. She had to write a story for her final exam. So she wrote about her experience of being a foreign exchange student. Sophia began writing,
It was the middle of the second quarter when Central High School had a foreign exchange student transfer to their school.Me. I am from Germany.I have long blonde hair that is all the way to my lower back. my eyes were as blue as the ocean. But there was a small issue. I spoke little English. The most I could say was “Hi, how are you”, or “ Please, thank you”.
my first day was rough, because I didn’t know where to go. Everyone was staring at me because I stuck out like a sore thumb. I didn’t know where to sit, so I found the closest empty seat. It was with the cheer squad.
“Um, who are you?” One of them asked.
“H-hi, how are you.” I replied.
“What is your name.” Another girl asked.
“Hi, how are you.” I again replied, confused at what they were saying.
“I said what is your name, freak” she yelled.
Suddenly, a tall, brown haired, blue eyed boy stood behind me and tapped on my shoulder. I turned around to see him.
“Hallo, mein name ist Logan. Was ist dein”(Hi, my names Logan. What’s yours) He said with a smile that could light up a room.
I smiled at his kindness and replied, “Sophia”
Logan was studying German for a vacation he was taking. When he had heard there was a new German student, he wanted to help.
“Hey Logan, what’s up.” One of the cheerleaders asked him, flipping my hair over my shoulder.
He ignored her, took my hand, and took me to the library to talk.
“Ich spreche nicht sehr gut Englisch” ( I don’t speak very well English) I told Logan, but he just smiled and told me, “Es ist in Ordnung” (It’s okay).
I learned more about Logan as we talked. I was so happy to have met such a nice guy who spoke German as well as I did. We would talk on the phone for hours. Every Friday, Logan would go over to my house, and teach me English. I slowly started to speak better English. And I developed  crush on him too. I wanted to tell him how I felt, but was afraid of him not feeling the same way. So I kept my feelings to myself.
“Thank you for what you have done to help me Logan.” I spoke. It was my first complete sentence.
“No problem. I’m glad I could help you.” He replied smiling. I wrapped my arms around Logan’s shoulders and brought him into a hug. He was startled at first, but hugged me back after a few seconds. They let go of eachother and laughed. The rest of the friday night, before he went home, we played my favorite video game, Far Cry.
I walked into school that next Monday, and saw my locker destroyed with rude and hateful comments like “Go back to Hitler’s country freak” and “You don’t belong mye” and many more comments. What made it worse, is that the spray cans were in Logan’s locker. So, I thought it was him. The guy I was falling in love with, felt the exact opposite.
“Why did you do that to my locker Logan.” I yelled. Logan was as shocked as I was.
“I didn’t do this I. Someone else did it.” Logan yelled back.
But I didn’t listen. The spray cans were in his locker.
“Rede nie wieder mit mir” (Never talk to me again) I yelled, and ran away from him.
I was so upset, I stopped talking to anyone. I stopped eating. Eventually, I even stopped going to school. Logan was depressed, because his best friend hated him for doing something he didn’t even do.
After a few weeks, I showed up at school again. I walked to my locker. But it looked different. There were flowers, candies, and a note on my locker. It read,
“Dear Sophia,
I have liked you since the day I set eyes on you. I am so happy I met you. I’m sorry for what happened to your locker. I never wrote one word on it. The cheerleaders pinned it on me so they could have me. But I don’t like them. I like you. Better yet, Ich liebe dich (I love you).”
I ran to Logan and kissed him. And I replied, “ich liebe dich auch” (I love you too)

Sophia ended her story and handed it in. She looked over to her boyfriend, Logan and he smiled. Sophia was finally happy again.