Milk. | Teen Ink

Milk.

January 6, 2017
By zaza1027 BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin
zaza1027 BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I look at her, and my world stops turning for a beat. It’s like every once of her is keeping me so damn grounded that the everything halts. Her eyes, they’re so brown. I love them. I don’t think brown eyes get enough credit, or maybe it’s just she wears them so well. The first thing I noticed about her was her piercing visage, I thought her eyes were black then, but now I see the outline of blue, I see the gold. I see her.
“I think we need more cereal, right?” She asks me, and my heart pounds, I don’t know why either. I swipe my hair from my shoulder and peek to her face. She’s wearing nude lipstick and eyeliner that I think she stole from me.
“I think we do.”
She grabs the closest cereal, Froot Loops, and gives me a smile, it reaches her eyes but not quite her ears, and I nod. She drops the box into the grocery cart and leans on the handle, pushing it slowly down the aisle. It’s about two in the morning, and no one is in this damn grocery store. We stayed up all night playing Monopoly before we realized the time and that we were most definitely out of food. That landed us here.
“Do we need milk?”
“We always have milk.”
I watch the way she sways through the aisles upon aisles, and I love it. I love a lot of things about her. Suddenly I see her stand straight and look at me with her mouth grinning, eyebrow wandering far too high as that grin turned to a smirk.
The old people chairs, lets race!”
My jaw falls only slightly and I look at her all dumbfounded, squinting my eyes a little bit. I c*** my head and my eyes glance over to the electric chairs with baskets on the front, charging in the back of the store.
I love you.” It tumbles out, my smile falters but hers doesn’t. Her face is bright, and she rocks on her feet, side to side, as she waddles her way close to me. I feel her arms wrap around my waist and she lets out a giggle.
Awe, I love you too! You’re my best friend.” My eyes unfocus and everything is blurry, fluttering lashes close my lids and I let out a quiet sigh.
That’s not what I meant.