Aimless Love | Teen Ink

Aimless Love

January 13, 2017
By johnsonae1 BRONZE, Midland, Michigan
johnsonae1 BRONZE, Midland, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Aimless Love
One Friday evening after Cady finished her final college lecture before the weekend, she decided to take a relaxing drive along California’s coast. Cady needed this time because she was very stressed with the social and academic life at college. She was an adventurous brunette, who really loved exploring new things. She had just relocated from the East coast to go to college in California. She drove around each winding corner of State Route 1, where there were great views that she never took for granted. With her music blasting and windows down, she felt free and independent.
She noticed that on the edge of the road many hikers walked, some of which were signaling to hitch a ride along the coast to every car that drove by. After an hour of driving went past, Cady decided to stop at one of the the view outlooks to relax for a little and collect her mind. There, the cliff ended only feet from her and the waves crashed into the side of the coast, which seemed like miles down. She loved the sound of the ocean hitting the wall and the salty air that surrounded her. The golden hour was here and the vibrant oranges, pinks, and yellows created a sense of unreal beauty that engulfed her. Her eyes were following the white caps out in the ocean with each water surge that came closer. Cady was the only person that was experiencing this exact view; she was completely isolated from others.
Suddenly a mid-twenty year old man with a red bandana around his head and a brown backpack weighing him down tapped Cady’s shoulder and asked,
“Is that your car?” Cady was completely flustered and her voice shakily responded,
“Uh yeah that’s it”.
Then he sat right beside her and his long, curly golden hair blew in the wind. Cady began to feel a little uncomfortable, and she was completely out of her relaxed state of mind. As they sat at the edge of the cliff in the sunset silently, she asked,
“So what are you doing here?”
He responded by putting out his hand and said, “Oh right, I’m Wyatt. I've been camping along the coast for probably months now and I just saw you and decided to come over”.
Cady became less tense now that he seemed to be an interesting and harmless man. She fell in love with his glistening eyes that reflected the ocean, and everything he said connected with her. They talked for hours in that same spot along the coast about their lives and how they ended up there.
The moonlight was the only thing lighting up the sky at this point, so Wyatt asked where Cady was heading that night. She responded with,
“Actually I’m just driving along the coast to clear my mind and have some alone time away from my stressful life back at college”. Wyatt loved Cady’s sense of individuality and depth that shined from within her. Wyatt then sprouted the question and asked if he could hitch a ride back with her into town. She undoubtedly felt like they had a connection, so they jumped into Cady’s car and headed towards her college.
On their way back they connected tremendously through their same taste in music and way of living. They both had the same aspirations of living a simple live with few materialistic things. They felt like they had known each other for way longer than just hours. They talked about many personal things and opened up to each other so deeply that they thought this was an unrealistic coincidence. Their deep conversation and personal connection was exactly what Cady needed at this point in her life. Cady was certainly falling for Wyatt’s sense of depth and understanding, which she knew she was never going to find again. Wyatt and Cady drove in silence with indie music capturing the mood, while Cady’s dreamcatcher, which hung from her mirror, glistened in the moonlight.
When they reached Cady’s college town, it was pitch black outside and they knew the adventure was coming to a close. Cady spoke up and asked, “Wyatt, where are you going now?” He responded sadly saying that he had to go off and find a place to stay for the night. They approached her dorm, when Wyatt suddenly unlocked the car door and left without saying one word. Cady watched as he vanished into the foggy darkness, and her happiness seemed to disappear with him. Cady knew he was the one for her, as she never felt such butterflies with anyone before and her heart never felt so heavy. She sat there in the driver’s seat staring straight into the darkness, thinking about the last time she looked into his hazel eyes. She was so saddened and terrified by the fact that she would never be able to be with Wyatt again. Cady’s love for Wyatt developed so quickly during that night that she couldn’t process why and how he left so abruptly. Although, Wyatt’s lost adventuring soul would never return, and Cady’s love was aimless.