Christmas Angel | Teen Ink

Christmas Angel

By joellewilkins SILVER, Wilmington , Delaware
joellewilkins SILVER, Wilmington , Delaware

Have courage and be kind.

Christmas Angel

It was a cold, brisk morning, I looked up, and the sky was filled with snow. It was so cold that I could see my breath go out as I exhaled. I live in a small town called, Manchester, and its Christmas time. The town is lit up with twinkling lights, and snow is covering the ground like a blanket. My name is Sarah and I live on my own. I live in a little house next to my red barn just across the meadow pond. I am 28 years old, and a widow.

My husband, Jared lost his battle to cancer. Before he died, we were in and out of hospitals, about twenty pill bottles laying around the house, chemotherapy every other day, and thirty surgeries. For better or worse, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health. Not a day went by that we fell out of love. He was my best friend and my soulmate. We got married right out of high school, we’re going on our tenth anniversary. Within the ten years of marriage, we have tried and struggled to have a baby. We finally accepted that we could not have children, and all we need is each other. We decided with the limited time we had with each other, we would make it count. We traveled together, we went on adventures to see America’s famous landmarks, and we met people along the way, and ate amazing food. Jared would have loved to travel out of the country but due to his health conditions, we couldn’t. But the time we had together was unforgettable.

My life is pretty lonely ever since Jared passed away. My routine is the same, I wake up at four o’clock sharp, go downstairs, and have a cup of coffee while reading the newspaper that Jared last read. I take a shower, and put on my wedding ring as well as Jared’s. I look outside and I can just tell what kind of day I'll have. I put on my boots and coat and hat, and I head outside in the snow. I say hello to my horse, Evelyn, I comb her long, sliver mane and give her a carrot. My chickens are all cooped up, ready to hatch their seasonal eggs. Annie, my cow is quivering from the cold, she won't let me milk her, but I must. My last and favorite part of my day is going to my rose garden. After Jared passed away, he left me a will. It read, “My dearest Sarah. If you're reading this then I'm sorry I couldn't have stuck around longer. I wish we had forever, but the memories we made are the memories I'll cherish forever. I know the last few years have been tough on us.  I know we longed for a child. I'm sorry I couldn't provide for you like I wanted. You would have made an amazing mother just as you were my wife. Before I got really ill, I wanted to give you one last gift. Although I can't be here for you, or give you a child, I want to give you something you can always care for, and remind yourself of me. I know roses are your favorite flower, for that is why I have made you a rose garden in our secret garden. Please take care of it, for if it lives, it means our love is eternal. I will always love and cherish you my love. Forever missing you.
-Jared”.

It's the week before Christmas, the town is bustling through the streets, trying to finish last minute Christmas shopping. I look in the glass window of the place Jared and I first met, my knees shake like silver spoons clanking together, my heart started racing, I saw Jared. He didn't speak to me. I thought I was dreaming and then I looked away, and he was gone. I thought about him the whole way home. I couldn't sleep at night, I kept on thinking, “am I dreaming?” “Is this my imagination?” I had mixed emotions, I felt overcome with sadness but confusion as well. The next day, I started baking our favorite pies, Jared and I would always bake pies and then he would sweep me off my feet and we would start dancing to “Sweet Jane”. I put on that song, and before I knew it, I was dancing with Jared. Suddenly I stopped dancing, I was stunned in disbelief, and then he was gone. All I wanted to do was touch him, and hear his voice.

It is Christmas Eve night, the lights are glistening in the snow, and the pond is frozen like glass. As I walk through the silent streets of the town, I hear a faint cry. As I get closer, it gets louder. I turn the corner, I see Jared standing in the middle of a blizzard, and he looks at me and smiles, and looks down at the ground. I run over to him, he says to me, “I love you Sarah, and I always will, goodbye my love.” He disappears, I look down and it's a baby girl, swaddled in cloth and has rosy red cheeks. I picked her up and knew she was mine. Jared gave his very last gift to me. He has been visiting me, to prepare me for his last goodbye. He has been my guardian angel this last week. He was celebrating our love for each other by giving me memories I can remember him by. “I named our sweet baby girl, Rose. I will take care of her, and love her, I promise to not let her wilt, I promise I will take care of her. For as long as she lives, our love for each other will be eternal”.
Love you always,
-Sarah