A Night Out | Teen Ink

A Night Out

December 9, 2016
By ocjones01 BRONZE, Fredirick, Colorado
ocjones01 BRONZE, Fredirick, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a long week, so I went to grab a drink with my buddy from work before heading home to my wife for dinner. My friend Frank left after he finished his drink, I was still sipping on mine.
A younger woman came in and sat next to me. I made small talk with her, just to be polite of course.
“Long day?” I asked as she sighed. “Don't even get me started.” she said with a smirk. “I moved into a house today just down the street!”
“Well congratulations! What's the neighbourhood?”
“Robin hood, I’m Amber by the way.”
“Oh my gosh that's my neighbourhood! And i’m sorry i'm Will.”
They continued to talk as they discovered they lived next door. Time went by and they stopped watching the clock and kept refilling their drinks. Since they lived next to each other now they took an Uber back together.
At this point Will’s wife Haley is wondering where he is and calls him. It goes straight to voicemail, she assumes his phone has died and he is still out with his co worker.
Amber invites him inside to see her house and her boxes of items. Will is stumbling a little bit at this point and falls on her bed that is still on the floor. I remember looking at the ceiling thinking I was home, I put my arm over what I thought was my wife and start to kiss her.
I wake up in the middle of the night, confused, thinking this looks like my house but these are not my belongings and this is not Haley. I got up immediately and stumbled my way to the door in the pitch black.  I rush across the soggy grass to my front door. Before crawling into MY bed I peek at the clock, it reads ‘2:43 AM’.
Will is laying in bed staring at the black ceiling with a spinning fan thinking to himself what just happened.
He wakes up to the sound of Haley whistling a song in the kitchen.
“Where were you last night?” she asks as he walks in the kitchen.
“Oh, I went to the bar with Frank and we just stayed out later than I thought, sorry honey.”
“Okay, I didn't hear you come in last night.”
“It wasn't too late” Will said as he kissed her forehead.
WIll is thinking to himself why did I lie too her, why would I not just tell her the truth.
A knock on the door happened around 11 AM.
“Who could that be?” asked Haley as she got the door.
She opens the door and there is Amber standing there.
“Hi, i'm your new neighbor Amber. I just thought I should introduce myself around here.”
“Oh it's so great to meet you, I'm Haley and my husbands name is Will.”
Will and Amber have an awkward moment of acknowledgment.
“I believe Will and I met last night at the bar down the street?” mentioned Amber.
“Yea, no wonder I recognized your face.” Will said with an uncomfortable laugh.
Will ran away to his bedroom to get ready for the day to avoid having more awkward conversations.
At this point he is well aware of what he did with Amber last night and doesn't know how to fix it. Every time the thought crosses his mind that has not only slept with his new neighbour but has become unloyal to his wife that he loved dearly.
Haley walks into the room mentioning that Amber is coming over for dinner tonight.
Will acknowledge this fact and continues what e is doing.
Haley has noticed something odd is up with him but doesn't know exactly what it is.
Haley was setting the table when Amber arrived for dinner. When all three sat down to eat, Amber was dropping interesting hints and things about Will. When Haley cleared the table and went into the kitchen for a moment Will leaned over and whispered to Amber.
“What are you doing?” He said upset, but trying to stay calm.
“Well, you never mentioned you were married. And doesn't your wife deserve to know what happened?” Amber said with a tone that she will do anything to get her way.
“Uh, yes of course she does, but that should come from me not you.” Will said firmly.
Haley was about to walk back into the room when she overheard them whispering about something. She couldn't help herself but to listen in.
“It is none of your business to butt into my relationship with my wife from a mistake I made that just happened to be with you!” Snapped Will.
“Yes it is, because you not only have been unloyal to your wife but you made me believe we were going to be something!”
“Humhum.” Interrupts Haley as she stands at the front of the table.
There is an awkward sensation floating around the room for a moment.
Haley is turning red with all the furry inside of her. As politely as she can she walks Amber to the door and wishes her a good night. After Amber leaves Will and Haley talk for hours on end about what happened at dinner, what happened with Amber, and everything else inbetween. They stopped talking when the sun started coming up the next day.
Haley ended up moving out for the time being, Will stayed at the house next door to Amber still. And Amber stayed neighbours with Will, continued to talk to him. WHat she wanted the whole time was to have Will for herself, and she got that in her own cruel way. As for Haley, she met a new guy in the apartments she was living in, although her marriage went down the drain, it was clear it wasn't meant to be so it was a blessing in very deep disguise with the incident involving Amber and Will.


The author's comments:

This is a finction story I have written as a short story porject in my LA class. I started the story with a plot chart and from there I let the story write itself.