Take The Ring Back | Teen Ink

Take The Ring Back

October 30, 2016
By PrincessJuli BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
PrincessJuli BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Take the ring back.” She sighed, as she took the gold band off, placing the 4k diamond in the palm of his hand.

John spined on his heels to face his distraught fiancee.

“Heidi… What is this all about?” John questioned. He wrapped his arms around her waist as a way to comfort her. She broke free from his arms and walked over to the box of napkins. She dumped them on the floor.

“What the hell is this John!” Heidi accused. 

“Napkins?” John answered matter a factly.

“Really? Because I’m pretty sure I asked you to order mint green napkins. These are seafoam napkins!” John looked down at the mess of napkins on their kitchen floor.

“Isn’t that the same color? Seafoam and Mint green? Heidi I think you’re overreacting. Marigolds go well with any color.” John tried to sooth her.

“This isn’t just about the napkins… I never ask you to do much of the wedding planning because you said you don't like it. So for once could you just do what I ask and” She looked around the kitchen, then picked up one of the dirty dishes, “Just pick up your dishes John, christ I’m not your maid!”

“Heidi… Heidi! Look at me!” he said as he followed her to the dining room “You can’t be breaking up with me over napkins and dishes… You are my lovely, beautiful, fiancee. Come on why are you telling me to take the ring back? This isn’t like you.” John pleaded.

Heidi stopped cleaning up the dishes from the table and looked at Joel, searching his eyes for the honest man she used to know. And when she couldn’t find him anymore she broke down. Letting her back slide down the wall as she sobbed into her hands. “Babe… what’s wrong what’s with all the fuss?”

John tried to sooth her, he went to place his hand on her back, but before he could she stood up and yelled “I know you’re sleeping with Alexa!”

“Umm... ahh… Babe.. wait… how?... Alexa …” John started to scramble. 

“Don’t try and come up with excuses! I called our office when you were on that ‘business trip’ and they said that they didn't send employs to Kansas!” Heidi picked up the dishes from the dining room and placed them the sink.

“Why would you call my office while I was away on business?” John yelled back.

“I wanted to visit you! We had just gotten engaged when you flew out to Kansas the first time, so but the third or fourth time I started to miss you. I know that must be a weird concept for you because you were never of thinking of me when you were sleeping with my best friend! She was supposed be the maid of honor. How could you!” She wasn’t sobbing anymore, this was too important to just forget, this hit too close to home, and she wasn’t gonna let him forget.

“How did you know it was Alexa? Did you send some spy to watch me? Did you ever trust me?” John pacing across the kitchen.

“I’m sad to say I did trust you! And you want to know how I knew it was Alexa? She always seemed busy when you were out of town… and I saw you two at the coffee house down the street. I know you might not know this but when you’re out of town I go there to read. I think I would recognize my own best friend and fiancee if I saw them.” Heidi walked from the kitchen to the living room to grab the last few dishes from in there.

“Here’s a question Heidi did you ever think for one we might not be sleeping together? You just made this whole thing up in your head so you wouldn’t have to marry me!” John followed Heidi around the kitchen.

“John!” She raised her voice so he knew she was serious.

“You know what? You’ve always loved to blow things out of proportions! But if you want the truth… Yes I have been sleeping with Alexa! There are you happy?!” He yelled and slammed his hands on the kitchen counter.

Heidi stopped everything.

In a hushed voice she asked “John… just tell me how long this has been happening for.”

There was a long pause then John said “A year maybe a year and a half. At first is wasn’t much just once every few months, when you would go upstate to visit your parents.”

“You hooked up with her when I was visiting my parents?! Do you know how wrong that is?” she got up and started to yell. “You know how I grew up in a family when my dad cheated on my mom. You promised me you would never do that! What happened to that?”

“You aren’t so innocent, remember the time you went on a date with that guy from high school.” John remembered a time when Heidi had visited her high school boyfriend one of the times she when up state.

“We went and got coffee. That’s a lot different than what you did with Alexa.” Heidi sneered back.

“Was it ‘getting coffee’ when he held your hand.” John quipped.

“That’s still a completely different thing then what you’ve done to me.” Heidi pointed a finger at him as she moved across the room.

“Hypocrite!” John yelled.

“I hate you! ” Heidi picked up a plate from the sink and threw it on the ground. Once she had see what she had done she sat down at the dining room table and started to cry.

John realized what he had done “Heidi… I never loved her. I always loved you!”

Heidi looked up at him, wanting so badly to tell him that everything would be ok. She wished she could still love him, but she couldn't so she turned to him and said “Just stop ok? We are done here. Last time I was asking this time I’m telling... Take the ring back.” 


The author's comments:

The process of heart break