Me Before You part 4 | Teen Ink

Me Before You part 4

November 3, 2016
By Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"What about second breakfast?" - Pippin from Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
"Broken isn't the same as unfixable." - Jacin from the Lunar Chronicles


Fear clenching my stomach I watch as the sun disappears, and clouds as black as night replace it. I may be the warrior of darkness, but even some darkness is meant to be feared by all. Warren appears by my side, his tight jawed expression matching my own.
"Are they ready for battle?" Warren doesn't look at me, instead he continues to stare at the clouds.
"She isn't angry with you, Nikkitaria. She is hurt by your betrayal yes, but you have not been deemed an enemy. You must stop beating yourself for mistakes of the flesh." A guttural laugh fills the air. A mistake of the flesh? Is that what Vixon is now?
"I'm so glad she views feelings and love as a mistake that can be righted. I wouldn't want to die today thinking my goddess hated me for loving." Warren finally looks at me, but not with the expression I desire. His chastising glare sears  into me, and my hatred flees in fear of creating one more enemy.
"I will be with our troops. It will be time to confront our fears shortly. Try to be prepared." I couldn't tell if he meant be prepared to see him or death. The wind blew through the trees howling like a wolf on the hunt. Everything will end today. One way or the other, this will be the end. I feel the ground shudder beneath my feet, and my blood runs cold. He's here. Turning I rush to my troops. I may be a traitor to most of them, but I will still fight for my people.
"Soldiers," hundreds of men and women turn towards me, realizing what it means for me to be addressing them. Some wear wide eyed expressions, while others hold grim scowls. They know the chance of going home today is slim. That they will never see their loved ones again. Guilt claws at my stomach knowing I was the reason mothers and fathers wouldn't go home to their children. Sisters and brothers would never joke about their parents again. All because of a mistake of the flesh. "Today marks a historical event. Our troops march against a great darkness. Darker than our own, but we will not be shaken. The abyss may have created a monster, but do not forget it was our ancestors that created the abyss." I pause and look across my soldiers one last time. Hoping to convey my regrets and apologies. "I know most of you see me as a traitor, but I still am loyal to our goddess. To our people. To the darkness. I will fight for us until my last breath. Who will fight with me. Fight for our people!" A cheer explodes into the air. Warren folds his arms, a warm smile making his face glow. An ear shattering screech fills the air as the creatures of the abyss emerge from the woods. I suck in a breath as Vixon steps out into the open field. The shadows swirling around him like a cloak. Even from here I can feel his hatred. In a blur of motion soldiers and creatures collide in a mass of darkness. They had not waited for my signal, but that's alright. I have my own battle. Giving Warren a farewell glance I stride towards Vixon. My heart pounds against my chest betraying me to my emotions with every step closer. Vixon's dark eyes catch hold of mine, and my heart breaks. His once beautiful green eyes are now as black as his heart.
"What's wrong, don't like the new look?" Vixon's words sting like venom in a wound. I can't show my weakness though. I have to be strong. I may die today, but I will die with honor.
"You flatter me once again with the depth of your love. How far will you go for me, Vixon?" His eyes narrow at my words, and my chest starts to hurt as the abyss tries to steal my soul. Pushing against it I draw my sword. Vixon was never one for words, but part of me wishes he would delay this inevitable battle with a few words at least. Vixon mirrors me, and draws his own sword.
"I've given you everything Nikki, and what I didn't give you took. I have nothing left to offer." Anger swirls inside of me. Took? I didn't take anything from him. He threw it away. A cry escapes my lips as I rush towards him. Metal clings against metal as sparks fly into the wind around us.
"One last dance before I kill you?" I ask. Memories flash by of our first dance. Vixon's sharp canines peek through his pink lips, and shoves against me, knocking me back. I get lost in a blur of motion and sound. I feel detached as if I'm just watching a fight before me. No longer am I the one trying to kill the abyss, just merely a bystander. As my arms move of their own accord my eyes wander. Glimpses of bodies, corpses littering the ground. Soldiers getting torn apart by the creatures Vixon unleashed. Sound fades into a distant background. Time seems to drag on, ensuring a slow torture. My people. Dead. They made me their warrior, and this is what I repay them with. Death. I felt my arm falter, and my attention snaps back to the fight. Only I'm fast enough. A gasp mixes with the rest of the white noise. I know I should be feeling pain right now, but there's nothing. I oddly feel at peace.


I stare as blood rushes over my sword. The world slowing coming back into focus. Nikki collapses to the ground, taking me with her. As I take in the blood and her crippled body it dawns on me what I've done. I truly have given her everything. My chest burns as my light tries to break free of the cage the abyss locked it into. Feelings overwhelm me and I turn into a fumbling fool. I toss the sword aside and pull Nikki into my lap.
"Look at us." Nikki gasps for air to get out her words. "We try so hard to fight this, but we always fail." My brain screams for me to say something, but nothing comes. The abyss whispers I should be happy, but everything else shouts, no, demands I do something.
"I'm sorry." Her words pull me back into reality, and tears sting my eyes. "I'm sorry Vixon. I should have told you... this a long time ago. I love you. More than I should..... More than my people." I know I should say it back, but either my pride or the abyss kept me from saying anything. I honestly can't tell what's controlling me. I felt pain, and anger. But I also felt happiness. Not everything is a lie with her.
"Vixon. I have to tell you something. Mi..." Her hand falls from mine and everything freezes. No. No Nikki... Anger and pain swirl together with the wind and everything blurs together. A scream fills the air inside the cyclone and with a surge of power I send it away. Like a slow motion bomb trees, dirt, rocks, and creatures scatter. An atomic bomb of raw emotion. Feeling drained and exhausted I fall beside Nikki. Knowing they will come for me eventual. I won't put up a fight. I'm done. My battle is over. A gold light appears above me. Electra stands with her hands clasped together.
"My warrior. You have strayed far from your path. You have done your task, but at such a deep cost. Will you come quietly, or will you still suffer?"
"I'm done. Do with me what you wish." Her expression turns grim as she accepts my terms. She nods to her soldiers. They grab my arms and haul me to my feet, but I didn't fight them. I felt tired, exhaustion weighing me down like lead. In a blink of an eye I was home. Golden light all around me. But my happiness was soon replaced with reality. The soldiers lowered me down onto the execution block, and my blood ran cold.
"People of the Light. Our beloved warrior as finished his task, but unfortunately at the cost of his life. Let us remember him the way he used to be. Goodbye, Vixon." I search the crowd hoping for once not to see anger or hate. My eyes catch on a pair of brown eyes. Wrinkles creasing his forehead as he stares. Watching his pupil moments before his death. Miguel. He's alive! His gaze looks away, then my soul's set free.