Me Before You Part 2 | Teen Ink

Me Before You Part 2

October 21, 2016
By Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
Writeupmyalley SILVER, Mena, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"What about second breakfast?" - Pippin from Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
"Broken isn't the same as unfixable." - Jacin from the Lunar Chronicles


Everything hurts. The sand between my toes giving little relief from the week's events. My heart races as I pace back and forth. He should have been here by now. Maybe he decided not to chance it, or maybe he decided to betray me. An eye for an eye. My chest tightens and I gasp for air as my emotions threaten to cripple me. I can't let them cloud my judgement and senses. I have to stay focused and alert. The waves wash away my footprints as I turn and walk another five steps. The full moon casts an eerie glow to the water. I don't like how still the surface is. I feel like it should be churning just as much as me. A shadow falls across the water, and everything in me freezes like it was the middle of winter.
"You came." It almost feels as though the words had to break through my teeth to be free. My hands start to shake, but I force myself to stand still.
"You left me to die. You set me up twice. Don't think I trust this won't turn out the same. Anything I should know before your goonies show up?" My heart twists painfully at his harsh tone. Forcing myself to turn I look at him. Vixon's stormy eyes glare at me and the distance between feels like we're standing on opposite sides of the ocean behind us.
"You know I had no choice. You killed Dylan. What was I supposed to do?" I throw my hands in the air. Frustration strangling me. Vixon's jaw clenches and the air around him feels like it's electrified.
"It's a war Vixon. You of all people know how it's hard to keep secrets during a war." A gruff scoff rings through the air as Vixon takes a step closer.
"And you would rather see me dead and your secrets buried than admit you fell in love with the villain." Tears sting my eyes forcing me look away from him, ashamed of my weakness. "Do you know why I killed Dylan and not you?"
"Because you're supposed to? I don't really care about the why!" The whine in my voice brings me to a stop. Since when did I care about myself more than my comrades?
"I couldn't bring myself to kill you. We both know I had the time, but instead I chose to take a bullet in the shoulder, risk capture, and you let it all happen just to keep a secret!" Like a spark my anger exploded.
"Have you told Miguel? Does your precious master know you're messing around with the girl he wants dead? That he's getting paid for you to kill me but instead you scoff at his money and fail your job. Don't stand here and speak of love when you yourself is holding the weapon right now." Vixon jerks his arm, unmasking the knife. Dropping to the ground I attempt a round kick. A smug grin plasters to my face as my heel connects with his. Vixon falls once again. Before he could stand I jump on top of him slipping his other knife out of its holster. "You've lost your touch dear." I say with a sneer. Vixon's body goes limp underneath me and my anger dissipates. Exhaustion overtakes my desire to finish this and I fall to the ground beside him.
"Now we're even." I mumble to the sky. Watching as the stars twinkle almost as if approving of my actions.
"Dylan loved you. You knew that, but you still betrayed him. You could have avenged him tonight, yet you know you won't. You'll betray his love even more." I glance over at Vixon confused about what he's mumbling about. Returning my stare Vixon rolls over, lowering himself on top of me. Everything he said rushes back to me. And he's right I will betray Dylan again. I betray all of my family and friends every time I meet Vixon. Every time I kiss him. As the thought enters my mind Vixon's lips meet mine and I lose my grip on reality.



I watch as her chest rises and falls. The sweat glistening off her skin in the moonlight. Her words ring clear in my head. I have no room to talk when I myself refuse to give up my secret. But at least I'm honest with myself. I know I'm betraying everything Miguel taught me and Miguel himself. Once I would have cared. Would have been disgusted at the thought of betraying him. Now. I do it everyday without blinking. I lie, kill, betray all for this girl. For the girl I'm supposed to destroy, but instead she's destroying me. The worse part is I'm letting her. I grab my few belongings and leave her, knowing her friends won't be too long now. As I slip onto my bike I see a light coming down the shore. A faint smile plays on my lips. Good luck explaining this, Nikki. I ride off into the night wondering what Miguel is up to. He for sure as figured out I'm not home. My thoughts ramble on as I drive. Some memories slip in, making me question my actions at the beach tonight, but my doubt is quickly replaced with nonchalance. The choking scent of smoke stops me in my tracks. There's only one thing that could be creating that much smoke out here. Miguel! I push the gas all the way down, tires squealing as I jerk the handles to the left. Please, please be okay. My chest aches as my heart beats itself into a frenzy. A mixture of orange and red takes over my vision, and everything jerks to a stop like someone grabbed the world. No. Anger boils my blood as if I was standing in the middle of the fire. She knew. This whole time. She knew they were coming here, that's why she called me to the beach. That means they know our secret. This whole time she's just been playing me. A guttural scream splinters the air, and before I realize it I'm turned around and fly to town with hell on my heels.
Revenge will have never tasted so sweet.