The Girl Who Lost Her Sight | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Lost Her Sight

By Sheila.solis05 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Sheila.solis05 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

She wished she could see him. The boy who she fell in love with. She wished to see his face and what it looked like. If he had brown, blue, or green eyes. If he had brown, blonde, or black hair. If his hair was curly, wavy, or straight. She wished to put a face to the dark husky voice that she hears every day. She wishes to look at the sunset with him and feel the warmth of it on her skin. Raven wishes to see the blues and pinks of the sunset, but now she can’t see anything.
Raven hates being blind from just going to the party, leaving a little too tipsy and getting in the crash that took her sight. Now, that one mistake makes her not be able to see her love of her life Hunter. She had met him after the accident, and didn’t talk to him at first until he finally broke down her brick walls of solitude bit by bit each day.  Now, she wishes that she hadn’t went to the party that took her eyesight. She has talked to Hunter about her getting surgery to repair her eyesight, so he tells her that she can do whatever she wants. So, Raven decides to make an appointment to have her surgery and is anxious to see the results of the surgery.
As the days pass, Raven gets so excited that she jumps around her house like a kangaroo screaming in joy. When the day has finally come, Raven can’t stop from just skipping and jumping around the school like a frog with a huge smile on her face. She finally arrives to her appointment and goes to the room that the nurse directed her to. The doctor finally arrives a couple minutes after her and Hunter.
“Hello, my name is Dr. O’Brien. What is your name?” he asks.
“My name is Raven Cohron and this is my boyfriend Hunter,” Raven says.
“Well, we’re just setting up your room and then we’ll begin the surgery, ok?” Dr. O’Brien asks.
“Okay,” She says with joy. Minutes after that conversation a nurse comes in and says the room is ready.
“Well then are you ready Raven?” he asks.
“More ready than anything else,” Raven says. She turns to Hunter and hugs him.
“I love you,” she tells him.
“I love you, too.”
After a couple of hours, the surgery is finally done and Raven is back in her room with Hunter. The doctor comes by and explains to her that she has to go through recovery before taking off the bandages from her eyes. During her recovery, Raven gets nervous and starts feeling like the surgery didn’t work. One day the stress just gets to her, and she starts bawling and yowling like a baby when it wants food. Hunter rushes to her and ask, “What’s wrong, babe?”
“I feel like it didn’t work at all!” She exclaimed frustrated.
“Babe, we don’t know that yet. You should calm down and think of the positive things,” he says.
This makes her stop crying and she says,” You’re right. I shouldn’t cry and think about the positive things. Like, I should think about seeing your face for the first time and being able to see things again.”
“Yes, that’s all you have to do,” he says letting out a breath of relief.
After a couple of more weeks, it is finally the day that Raven gets her bandages off. While Dr. O’Brien is taking off her bandages, Raven is holding Hunter’s hand says, “I love you.”
“I love you, too.”
After the bandages come off, Raven blinks a couple of times, opens her eyes and sees...