Dreams will come true in time | Teen Ink

Dreams will come true in time

By mv489595 BRONZE, Louisville , Colorado
mv489595 BRONZE, Louisville , Colorado

I walk down the staircase walking close to the ballroom. I begin to pick up small scraps of ripped streamers and put the cups and glasses on a tray to take to the kitchen. I drop them off in the kitchen and I go upstairs to put on some clothing. I sit at my vanity and brush through my hair and braid it. I grab the end of my hair and tie a purple ribbon on the end of it. I finish and I look into the mirror for a second. I see my mother, she’s smiling at me. It’s been 10 years since I’ve seen her but she’s always with me. Tonight is my 21st birthday and I wish she could be here with me, but tonight was going to be a big night because I’m supposed to meet my love. I look out the window, take a deep breath, and smile. I get up and walk down stairs again.

“Hello dad.” I say to him and hug him.

“Hey Lily, are you ready for tonight?”

“I….I am so ready!” I look at him and smile. I wave and walk down the hall to go to my tailor.

I walk into the room and I begin to look at different kinds of textiles and silk. I find the one that’s perfect for tonight. I look at it for a while and I see my mom smiling at me again. She walks over grabs the fabric and smiles and nods. The tailor come up to:

“Hi darling are you doing alright?”

She touches my shoulder and I wake up from my little daydream. “Sorry Hi!”

“What can I do for you dear?” She asks while she takes my silk and fabric I pointed out.

“I want a dress for tonight, I want to look beautiful and elegant. I want to impress.” She interrupts me.

“Ooooo who are you impressing?”

I smile and blush a little and tell her “well……..There’s this boy that’s coming that I don’t know but my father says he’s a great guy to marry.”

She smiles at me and gestures me to stand so she can fit me for my dress. “I have a perfect idea! Come back in a few hours and it should be done.”

“Thank you, thank you very much.”I smile and wave as I left the room. I dream about what he will look like, what he will act like. What if he dances?! I couldn’t be more excited to go to a ball.

*3 hours pass*

I run to my tailor to see if my dress is ready, because I don’t have much time to get ready. I walk in and I see my dress and my jaw dropped. “It’s…...it’s perfect! Thank you!” She smiles at me. I take it and begin to change. I sit at my vanity and begin to brush my hair so I can curl it. I see my mother's necklace laying on my dresser, I look into the mirror again and I see her again. She runs her fingers through my hair, smiles and then she disappears. I go over to my dresser and pick up the necklace. The chain falls in between my fingers and the charm lays in my palm. I put it on and begin to curl my hair. I begin to put on makeup, I finish and stand up and take a deep breath. I keep telling myself, Things will be okay. I take another deep breath and open the door. I walk to balcony to where I can see the ballroom, not many people are here yet but they will soon so I walk around till I’m supposed to walk down. I walk back and put my hands on the railing, look down and I see many many people. My stomach drops and I feel butterflies. I smile and begin to walk down the stairs slowly, taking in every moment of it. My dad meets me halfway up the stairs and we link arms, he smiles at me and kisses my forehead.
I reach the bottom of the stairs, my dad directs me to who he thinks I should marry. He smiles at me and then pulls me in a circle and then this man appears. “Lily, this is Christopher.”

I look at him, smile and curtsy. “Hi….” my dad leaves us alone.

“Why hello there.” He grabs a drink for the both of us and we look into each other's eyes.

“I’m not really all about this arranged marriage thing, you seem very nice I just need to talk to my dad really quickly.” I walk over to my father and grab his arm so I could talk to him. “Dad….I don’t even know him….” he looks at me.

“Lily you haven’t given him a chance, I’m not saying he has to be the one, but he’s a very nice fellow and I think he’s good for you. You can do what you want just know guys like this don’t come around very often.” He gives me a hug and kisses the top of my head. He lets go and I nod and go back.

I walk through the ballroom and go to the garden so I can think. I was excited for this….what happened?......I sit outside, I look into the sky and hope that an answer would come my way. I hear my mom’s voice, “Lily...be the girl I know you are and go out and try new things.” I look around trying to find where that sound came from. I stand and walk around, I turn around and I see Christopher.

“Christopher?”

“Hey Lily, would you mind if I have this dance?” He reaches out his hand, I hesitate but then I put my hand his. I smile and he smiles back. “Hey call me Chris.” I nod and smile. He holds my hand and we walk into the ballroom, they play my favorite song, and it’s just us two on the dance floor. Everyone moves once they see us on the dance floor. My dad gets up and speaks and introduces us. We both smile and laugh a little and then he pulls me close. He grabs my left hand and then he puts his other on my waist and I put mine on his shoulder. He spun me, and dipped me. When we were dancing it felt no one was watching. It felt like we were absolutely alone, and no could ever mess this up. He dips me for the last time and we look into each other’s eyes. I felt like a modern day Cinderella. He pulls me up and smiles. I tell him to get drinks while I run to the bathroom. While I was dabbing a wash cloth on my face, two other girls were talking in the corner. They would whisper, point at me and then whisper again. I go over there and ask what’s going on and they look at me, they tell me to sit down so I do. They begin to tell me how Chris is only in this for the money because he will never get the throne in his own kingdom. I begin to cry, I thought I found the right guy. I walk out of the restroom and run to my room. My dad comes upstairs to talk to me.

“Are things alright?” I look at him and shake my head, he comes and sits next to me. “I know that you found out about Chris. He is in it for the money but you could love him. You don’t have to, but he isn’t in it to hurt any of us. He just wants to have someone, but not to lose what he has.” I nod. “Lily talk to him and see what he says. Trust me.”

“Okay.” I take a deep breath. “I can give him a chance, he is super nice.”

I walk down stairs, and find him walking close to the door. I run to go to him, and I grab his hand. “If you aren’t in it for just the money show me.” He smiles at me, pulls me close and kisses me. I wasn’t expecting that. He looks at me and says, “Does that show you? That I love you? That I’m willing to spend the rest of my life with you?” He grabs my hand and tells me to close my eyes.

“Lily?”

“Yes?”

“Do you trust me?” I nod, and says it again, “Lily do you trust me?” I nod my head once again. He tells me to keep my eyes closed while he sets something up. I didn’t really know what was going on but I trusted him. I haven’t known him very long but I trust him. Even when I thought he was only in this for the money. I start to think about what he’s setting up and I keep thinking like maybe he just left. He comes up to me, puts his arms around my waist and whispers in my ear to take off my blindfold. I reach behind my head and begin to untie it. I take it off and I look into his eyes, he looks at me. I look around and begin to smile there are tons of candles, lights hanging from the ceiling and we’re in the garden. I look back at him with my hand over my lips. I am very in awe of what is happening. Chris comes over to me and asks me once again: “Do you trust me Lily?” I nod and smile at him, “Lily” he take a long pause, “Lily, would you trust me for the rest of your life?” I look at him confused and he gets down on one knee and asks again, “Lily will you trust me for the rest of our lives?” He pauses, “Lily, Will you marry me?” I begin to cry and nod over and over again.

My life was just about to begin.