Heal me | Teen Ink

Heal me

By Raven_Lee BRONZE, Granger, Indiana
Raven_Lee BRONZE, Granger, Indiana

Nothing was easy anymore in Rose’s life. Her boyfriend of four years just broke up with her and the parents fought all of the time. Why did it always have to end up like this? It wasn’t her fault and she knew that, but why was it so hard to keep those memories out of her mind?

The horrific screaming fights, the sound of shattering plates as her mom threw the expensive china at the walls. Everything in Rose’s life was changing, it was shifting like sand under her feet. The divorce was almost final, nothing seemed complete anymore as it used to when she was little.  She lay back on her bed and looked at the ceiling. Her walls were a deep midnight blue and the soft pink curtains fluttered in the wind from the open window. Another plate smashed against a chair somewhere downstairs, making Rose shiver from the tension that seeped under the door and grabbed at her with its sharp claws.
Her heart was shattering with the plates it seemed. Every breath taken seemed to rip through her body like a thousand little knives. Rose rolled over and grabbed Jaxon’s hoodie, breathing in the scent of a whole four years wasted. She was already 19 years old, Jaxon was 22. Everything was perfect until his dad’s work dragged him halfway across the country into another state. Georgia claimed the heart of her love and she hated it for that. She missed him so badly. Hot, sticky tears rolled down her already tear stained cheeks. Rose swiped at them absentmindedly. A soft buzzing snapped her out of her daydream, her childhood best friend Lilith had been calling her all morning but she hadn’t picked up. She was in no mood to talk right now, so she sent a quick text apologizing and quickly summed up the problem and then shut off her phone so she could wallow in her sorrow on her own.
Outside the sun shone through the clouds that had gathered, Rose hoped that it would rain. At least that would match her mood. She picked up the remote and turned on her radio, some country song came blaring through the radio and she smiled sadly. Country was her favorite genre now. She didn’t want to listen to anything else. At least with country music, it seemed to understand her problems when no one else did. Suddenly someone came busting through her door making Rose sit straight up in bed. It was Lilith. She shut the door behind her and attacked Rose begging her to tell her everything in person. Rose smiled softly, she should have known that Lilith would do something like this. She hugged her tightly and started spilling her story. Jax left, her parents were fighting, she was depressed about everything and she didn’t want to deal with it all anymore. Li grabbed Rose’s shoulders and looked her dead in the eye. Rose listened as Li told her to hold on, to keep pushing forward with the force of 50 trains going at full speed. Rose nodded and hugged her friend. Lilith made her promise that if anything got worse that she would call her. Rose agreed and watched Lilith leave.
At least she felt a bit better now, maybe she could go downstairs and get some food. She stood up and made her way to the door, she could hear her parents talking in hushed but loud whispers. They were talking about her. She strained her ear to hear. They were saying that since technically she was 19 now and had a job at the local hospital, that she could go off on her own. Roses heart seemed to shatter even more than it already had. That was it. She picked up her phone and turned it back on and called Jaxon. He answered with a bit of surprise. Rose sadly asked him if he would take her back if for some reason she found herself in Georgia permanently, since the only reason they broke up was because of distance. Jaxon had no hesitation in showing his excitement that she had said this and told her that if that ever happened that he would most definitely take her back. As she talked to him about other things, she brought out her two large backpacks and her suitcase. Three and a half hours later after packing everything she owned. She made arrangements for Jax to meet her at the local airport near his house.
Rose hung up the phone and put a backpack on each shoulder and grabbed her suitcase that held most everything she owned, she didn’t have much left. She turned to look at her room one last time before finally stepping out the door. She walked downstairs and looked her parents in the eye and told them both goodbye. They cried as she gave them each a quick hug but in the end were understanding. For goodness sake, she was 19, so young but so independant. Tears were starting to form in her eyes again as she put her things in her car. She had to go now, she had a flight to catch. As she drove off she looked in her rearview mirror and saw her parents standing in the driveway crying. She picked up the speed a bit and turned the corner. This was her life, and she wasn’t about to live it there in that house with all of that pain. She called Lilith and explained everything to her, by time she was done she was already checked into her flight and waiting to board the plane. Lilith was happy for her, as she should be. She knew what Rose went through. In less than twenty four hours, Rose’s life went from being unpredictable and sad, to having something bright and beautiful waiting for her.
Could this be the beginning of a new life for her? She wondered if things would be ok and if it would stop being so scary when she was finally back in Jax’s arms. She held her head high as she stepped onto the plane. This was her life, and she wasn’t about to look back.