Gifted Eyes | Teen Ink

Gifted Eyes

May 26, 2016
By LilaMunson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LilaMunson SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Chapter One

Monday

I awoke to the sound of my alarm blaring. Groaning I slammed my hand down and turned it off. Eventually I pulled myself out of bed and got into the shower. Man it was cold. Quickly I washed my hair and body then got out. My music was playing loud and I sang along as I got ready for school. “Finally almost done with it. My last day.” I mumbled to myself as I put on a small amount of make up. I slipped my clothes on and threw my hair into a messy bun. I looked at myself in the mirror my jeans a little too tight and my shirt very baggy. My eyes changed to ivory as I put in my hazel contacts.
My eyes change color with my mood. I have never met anyone with the same problem. I can't go out without having my contacts in. This life sucks. Also dealing with no parents because they passed away when I was seventeen and I developed depression. My life is chaos with living alone and not being able to do anything except school and work. It can get really tough. I just hope I can make it.
I grabbed my iced tea from the fridge and my keys off the hook then got into my truck. I don't want to do this. I got to school is a quick amount of time and got to my first class. Finals today, great. My friend Tristen threw a ball of paper at my head to get my attention.“Hey, Paris what are you doing today?” He asked and walked over to my desk. “Well I have to work for a couple hours and I have the rest of the week off, why?” I asked. His face lit up with excitement. “Want to hang out? I have this week off too.” He smiled intensely. “Sure you can come to my place tonight at seven. I get off work at six thirty.” I mumbled. “Sweet!” he yelled and went back to his desk. Today will get interesting.
Tristen is an interesting character with his funny jokes and cute smile that isn’t shown too often. His personality is crazy but sweet and protective. He’s just a great guy. I smiled and watched him bounce back to his desk. “Everyone sit down!” Mrs. Jackson yelled at us as she passed out our final. “You have an hour to complete this, if it is not finished come in and finish during the make up time.” She said after she sat down at her desk. The final was fairly easy and the rest of the day was of course more finals along with Tristen being annoying as hell. Finally it was time to go home. “Paris! Come here.” Tristen reached for my wrist and pulled me back. “What’s up?” I asked in a pissed off tone. “Wow, chill out. I just wanted to say I’ll see you tonight.” Sadly he grabbed his books and closed his locker. I pulled him in for a hug and said my goodbyes then walked out of the school to my car. The parking lot was packed. I should have waited to leave. I turned on my truck and went to work. At least it was a short shift today. Only two and a half hours. I got to work at three forty five and clocked in. Only fifteen minutes early. “Not bad, Paris not bad at all.” I mumbled to myself and threw on my apron. I work as a waitress at a small cafe in my town. Not too hard but enough to keep me busy. A wave of customers came in and I got straight to work. I carried drink and orders to all the tables being only one of the two waitresses working at the time. It can get a bit stressful with rude customers. At least I’m making money. With tips flowing in and getting paid that day I was happy. I made at least one hundred in tips alone. The crowd started to die down and things laid low until it was time to go home.
At six thirty I clocked out and drove home. I sang along to the songs on the radio and rolled the windows down. I got home in just enough time to take a quick shower. When I was done i turned of some quiet music that went throughout the house. I heard my front door slam open and Tristen yelling something about ‘being home’. “Hey Tristen, what do you want to do?” I asked as he ran up to me and kissed my cheek. Then tried to get me to dance as soon as he heard the music. My eyes became red behind my contacts. I was totally in love with him, but he’s my best friend. “Let’s go out for dinner.” he whispered into my ear. I stepped away and shook my head. “Not tonight I’m way too tired.” I said and sat on the couch. “Well maybe we can watch movies and eat dinner here? That sounds like fun” he said and sat next to me. “Sounds good, Would you want to order pizza or should I make something?” I asked praying he would say pizza. “Uh well pizza sounds good but you make the best food ever! Since you’re tired let’s do pizza.” He walked away and called to order pizza and I went to my room to grab movies and put on my sweats and a tank top. “Tristen are you staying over?” I yelled at him from upstairs. “Sure! Do you have any clothes I can borrow?” He asked happily. “Uh yeah come up to my parents old room, I’m sure you can fit into my dad’s old clothes.” My eyes changed to black as I became depressed thinking about my parents death. Tristen ran up the stairs and we looked in my dad’s closet for some clothes. “Here, you can wear these.” I handed him some sweatpants and a tee shirt. “They might be a little bit big.” I said and sat on the bed. My dad was a tall man and was very well build but Tristen was just a little smaller than him. My mom was like me, small and short with a petite frame but she would be able to really hurt someone if she needed too. Tristen came out of the bathroom wearing my dad’s clothes. “You look a lot like him” I mumbled under my breath. “Oh, Paris it’s okay I’m here for you.” He hugged my tightly as tears started to fall down my cheeks. I’m so glad he couldn’t see my eyes. After a few minutes, the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it.” He jumped up and ran down the stairs. I pulled myself up from off the bed and slowly tip toed back downstairs. “Okay great, have a good night!” Tristen said to the man to the door. The door slammed shut and we went to the kitchen to eat.
By now it was well past ten o’clock. We decided to go to bed because of school the next day. Walking back to my room Tristen had his arm around my waist. “You can stay in my bed tonight if you would like too.” I whispered as my cheeks turned crimson. “Really? Okay great!” He hugged me tightly and dragged me into my bed. We said goodnight and I just couldn’t fall asleep for a few hours.
“I just want to tell him. Someone should know. If it was anyone, I’d want him to know.” I was rambling to myself and went to the bathroom to take out my contacts. Luckily my eyes were hazel when I took them out. I crawled back into bed but I accidentally woke him up. Thankfully it was dark. “Hey, are you okay? It’s almost midnight.” he whispered and looked at me. “Um yeah, yeah, I’m okay. I just can't sleep.” I said and mentally face palmed. I need to tell him. “Okay well go back to sleep.” He tried to stifle a laugh and laid back down. I cuddled up to him and fell right to sleep in dread of the next day.

 

 

 

(Summary of the rest of the novel. What this story is going to be is how she struggles with her life and her friend Tristen moves in and they eventually begin date. After a few months she hates keeping her secret from him. She has to tell him about her eyes and they come to find out they the both live with the same problem with their eyes and discover how it happened. With their parents being into black magic, they both were blessed and cursed with the gift in their eyes.)