Secret Admirer | Teen Ink

Secret Admirer

By PusheenLover BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
PusheenLover BRONZE, Olympia, Washington

"Be so good they can't ignore you" -Steve Martin

11:01 AM. I am in 3rd period English class, waiting for the bell to ring for lunch. We are working on an argumentative essay about whether or not parents should push their children to do extracurricular activities, such as music or sports. We had all period to work on it, but I finished in the first 30 minutes. Since then, I have been reading “Famous Last Words”. Best. Book. Ever. But for the past 10 minutes, I have been eager to get out of class because I am really hungry. So hungry, that I even started to bite my book. My teacher was looking at me with the “what the heck is wrong with you, you are acting like a first grader” face. My face turned as red as a tomato blushing, and went back to reading.

Beep, beep, beep. There goes the bell, finally. I snap my book shut, gather my stuff, and walk towards the door. My teacher is holding the door open for everyone. When I pass him, he says, “Are you egg-cited to finally go to lunch?” He smiles when he says it. He is the most humorous out of all my teachers, and makes jokes whenever he can. I nod at him, my face a bright red, remembering my book chewing episode.

“ Yes, I am egg-cited to go to lunch,” I reply, showing him that I get his joke.

“Just don’t eat your book on the way to your locker,” he laughs, and my face turns red, again, clearly embarrassed.

“Sorry about that,” I hope he didn’t notice the squeak in my voice. The squeak was as quiet as a mouse, but I still had a fear that it was heard. “See you later,” I say to him, as I start to walk down the hall to my locker. My stomach is growling all the way there. I get to my locker, spin in my combination, and open my locker.

There is a lot of talking around me, but my stomach growls extremely loud. I am so distracted by my hunger, that I almost didn’t notice the bouquet of roses sitting on my backpack. I put my stuff at the bottom of my locker, and take out the roses. I notice that there is a note on it:

You are a great person
And I think of you a lot
Meet me outside at 3:00
In the front parking lot

-Your Secret Admirer

The first thought after I read the note was who is my secret admirer? I shrug, put the flowers back in my locker, and go to lunch. I have hope for who the secret admirer is.

•          •          •         •

For the rest of the day, I was thinking about the secret admirer thing. So many questions were whizzing around my brain: How did they get into my locker? Did they figure out the combination somehow? Who is this secret admirer? Why am I staring at my book like it’s a piece of steak? The last question isn’t relevant, but I guess I must be hungry again.

It is now 2:58, and school was over at 2:40. I grab my backpack up off of the floor from beside my locker, sling it over my shoulder, grab the flowers, and start to stroll down the hall to the front of the school. I am debating between two people. I think it is either my good guy friend (who I have a crush on), or it is a kid that is in my grade and stares at me a lot.

2:59. I walk outside, but no one is out there. There are always students out here at this time. Odd. Must be part of the “secret plan”, I think to myself. I stride over to the bench and sit down.

3:00. I am looking around for my secret admirer, but see nobody. 3:01. 3:02. 3:03. Time passes and no one appears. I sigh. Maybe they will show up another time, I decide. I stand up, and start to walk home, when I hear the front doors open. I spin around to see who it is. The figure is standing at the top of the steps, looking at me, smiling. I am looking back at him, our eyes locking. My mouth is open a little, but I am smiling.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” he said breaking the silence, but still looking at me. “I’m glad you waited.” He was walking toward me slowly, as if he were adding a dramatic effect.

“It’s okay. I’m glad I waited, too.” He was now just a couple inches from me, looking down into my eyes. I am still staring into those heavenly eyes of his. I felt like I was looking into another dimension. He reached down and grabbed my hands. I broke away from the staring to look down at our hands touching, then looked up into his eyes again. I felt my heart beating heavily. I felt electricity. I felt love. All on the sidewalk in front of the school, where the only sound was the sound of our breathing. I am so happy that this is happening now. That this is happening today. That it is happening with the love of my life.

To Be Continued...

I am not really sure how this came to mind. I think I randomly came up with the idea.