Galaxies and Love Affairs | Teen Ink

Galaxies and Love Affairs MAG

May 10, 2016
By pai GOLD, Carteret, New Jersey
pai GOLD, Carteret, New Jersey
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Selfishness is one of the qualities apt to inspire love." Nathaniel Hawthorne.


The night sky is such a beautiful thing.

Filled with mystery and awe, the stars shed light on the most wondrous spaces of darkness. Constellations are night paintings, and the planets encircle the vastness of the atmosphere.

Millions upon millions of asteroids and cosmic rock fly across the sky in a cocoon of fire, dancing across the glittering black cosmos. Cassiopeia, Perseus, and Hercules chat with each other in the lighting granted to them by the spheres of gas they are made up of.

From the Earth, you can’t see the stars in New York City like you can in New Zealand. But land on the moon, you can’t see the stars like you can on Jupiter. Standing in the center of the Milky Way, you can’t see the stars like you can from the Heavens. The incomprehensible vastness of the night sky makes it hard to believe such a thing exists.

Yet here you are.

Thousands of light years away from the Heavens, and the Milky Way, and Jupiter, and the moon, on this little planet called Earth stands you. And unlike the stars, you remain only inches away from me. Deep within your soul, I know, is a vastness like no other. You’ve let me explore your mysteries and unlock the secrets of you. Your eyes contain the comets and shooting stars that I have so longed to witness myself. Your hands, disguised within your callouses and palm lines, encase the beauty of the sky. Holding your hand ensures my safety. I trail star-speckled kisses all over your body, and with each breath I take I inhabit some of your atmosphere. It was you, all along. My piece of the night sky – my little snow globe of cosmic purity – all rearranged and perfectly fit inside of you. My long awaited space adventure has arrived. And I am so excited to explore even further into the depths of you and me.


The author's comments:

I hope that when you look into their eyes, you see their stars.