Meadow | Teen Ink

Meadow

By Totallyem SILVER, Hayden, Idaho
Totallyem SILVER, Hayden, Idaho

"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The gold shimmering meadow is illuminated by the dragonflies and dandelions. It is vast and never ending. Miles and miles into the distance the shadows of two silhouettes appear to be sitting in the ornamental grass. They have their hands held out towards each other and it seems that they are holding an object together. It is impossible to discern what that object is. An energy of contentment permeates from the pair of humans in the distance. Their smiles gleam with happiness in its purest form. Though they are faraway, I am profoundly moved.

I swivel my body and begin strolling down the path that leads out of the meadow, and as I walk, I hear a voice. It is soft and innocent. “What is your name?”

When I looked back in their direction they were standing with their fingers entangled together in a way that looked more loving than anything I have experienced. I longed for the type of affection that they were demonstrating. They continued to gaze at me with a curious admiration that I did not understand. Regardless, I felt the need to approach them and learn about their lifestyle. I took slow steps, one by one, and eventually grew nearer to these fascinating people. When I was close enough, the young woman extended her slender arm and touched my cheek with the backside of her hand. “Why are you unhappy?” she asked.

“What makes you certain that I am unhappy?” I wondered in return.
“You took a very long time to come to us. That signals doubt and discomfort.”

I could not muster the words required to form a response to this. She might be correct. It could be possible that I have been unhappy my whole life and it was not until this very moment that I realized this about myself.